[council] Fwd: Memo to GNSO re: bundling Translation and Transliteration into Thick WHOIS IRT

Jennifer Gore Standiford JStandiford at web.com
Wed May 11 20:38:05 UTC 2016

Council Members,

Thank you Glen - for sharing the memo re. bundling Translation and Transliteration into Thick WHOIS IRT. Prior to the Council meeting tomorrow, I would like to share my position on agenda Item 8: DISCUSSION - Possible Integration of the Pending Implementation of the Translation & Transliteration of gTLD Contact Data PDP Recommendations with the implementation of Thick WHOIS.

As a member of the Thick WHOIS working group, I believe greater efficiencies and increased likelihood of a successful outcome would result, if the following recommended approach to T/T and IRD was considered.

1)      T/T needs to move onto an IRT process

2)      The IRD recommendations need to be evaluated and as appropriate be incorporated into other GNSO policy work on WHOIS, at a minimum as it relates to the T/T IRT and RDS PDP

The T/T IRT should move forward under the context of the RDS PDP and then relevant IRD recommendations will be evaluated and incorporated as appropriate.  The current published comments
re. T/T IRD implementations are mostly RDAP additions. I would like to re-emphasis the vast amount of work required for this implementation will include, but not limited to, updates to physical data structure and underlying communications protocols (EPP) to support the new data requirements. RDS will be updating these same system components as well.

Therefore, my preference (and I believe the majority of Registrar’s would agree) would be to move forward and focus on a consolidation with RDS PDP as a more logical grouping for this work that would result in:
1) Reduce duplication of efforts i.e. T/T IRT and then RDS.
2) Allow the Thick WHOIS/RDAP/CL&D IRT work to continue on as planned without adding an additional 6-12 months delay to what is already a lengthy plan

Thank you,
Jennifer

Jennifer Gore
Policy Director
Web.com
12808 Gran Bay Parkway, West  |  Jacksonville, FL 32258
Office: 904. 680-6919| Cell: 904. 401-4347
[cid:image003.png at 01CFD6B5.902BADC0]