[council] Preliminary planning for ICANN58

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Nov 23 11:14:21 UTC 2016

James

Thanks for sharing this.

My personal thoughts:

1 – Single is easier. Rationale: some of the RrSG members plan their attendance around the SG meeting with some only coming to meetings in Europe to attend it.
2 / 3/ 4 – I think the entire HIT thing needs to be revisited.
What is the rationale behind this?
What exactly constitutes “high interest”? For whom? ICANN staff? Community? The GAC?
I’m not opposed to the concept of these plenary sessions, but if they are to be truly plenary then the number of them needs to be reduced and that would also mean the number of conflicts would be more manageable. In Hyderabad there were too many of these sessions and the conflicts were a mess.

How topics are chosen will always be a difficult point, but other organisations manage to schedule these things without it being such a big deal and headache
Why not adopt a “sane” process like others have? Ie. “call for topics / papers” which generates the intitial list and then some kind of simple polling / ranking system to choose the two or three that should take place?
The way it was handled for India seems to have been completely random

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon