[council] RE: FOR REVIEW: IGO acronyms - differences between GNSO policy, GAC advice and the small group proposal

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Tue Oct 11 15:39:26 UTC 2016

Mary:

Thanks to you and other staff for preparing the summary note. I am sure it will be helpful to participants in the GNSO call on this matter scheduled for this afternoon (my time).

I would point out that the CRP WG that I co-chair, along with Petter Rindforth, is in the final stages of preparing a preliminary report and recommendations that relate to the matters listed under III in the note, “CURATIVE RIGHTS PROTECTIONS – A COMPARISON”. The Preventative Protections listed under II are outside the scope of our WG.

There is, however, one common element in both II and III, in that the existing GAC advice calls for both the preventative and curative protections to be available ”at no cost or nominal cost only to the IGO”. The CRP WG took note of that language after it was conveyed by the GAC and engaged in a robust discussion, the conclusion of which was that the WG had no authority to either require providers of CRP services to give IGO complainants a discount on said services or provide them for free; or to require that ICANN subsidize such protections for IGOs.

However, we did make further inquiry of the GAC as to whether it considered the present pricing for UDRP and URS services (both of which are substantially less expensive than litigation) to fall into the category of nominal cost. Unfortunately, the response received from the GAC was equivocal and of little use to the WG in determining the parameters of the meaning of that GAC advice. (If you have time before today’s call you may wish to provide participants with a copy of that exchange.)

Some other comments on the Board letter of October 4th and accompanying IGO Small Group Proposal:

·         The letter states that “the Board has been notified that the small group has reached consensus on a proposal for a number of general principles and suggestions that it hopes will be acceptable to the GAC and the GNSO”. That phrase makes clear that the attached Proposal has not been endorsed by the Board or the GAC at this time, notwithstanding the closed door discussions between all three of those parties over the past two years.

·         The Board letter also states, “We therefore hope that the presentation of the attached proposal is timely, and will be fully considered by the Working Group regarding the specific topic of enabling adequate curative rights protections for IGO acronyms, and in conjunction with the GNSO Council’s management of the overall process for possible reconciliation of GNSO policy with GAC advice.” In regard to that I would personally state the following—

First, it is the intent of the CRP WG to discuss the Board letter and Small Group Proposal as the first matter of business on its scheduled call this coming Thursday, October 13th.

Second, while the presentation of the Proposal is not timely, insofar as members of the Small Group have never joined the WG as members and have only participated in a very sporadic manner, and the Proposal arrives at a time when the WG has reached most final conclusions and is preparing its draft report and recommendations. Notwithstanding those factors,  its untimely arrival does not present great difficulty for the WG in that the specifics of the Proposal are quite similar to positions we have heard from IGO representatives (in their personal capacity) previously, and the WG has fully considered them.

·         The Board letter states that “the Board will not take action with respect to GAC advice on curative rights protections for IGOs prior to the conclusion of the GNSO’s PDP”. That is the proper procedure in that it is clear, as noted above, that the GAC has not endorsed the Small Group Proposal and, further, it would be quite improper for the Board to take action on GAC advice on a matter (CRP) that a PDP WG is currently engaged in addressing. When the GNSO Council and ICANN community have an opportunity to review and comment upon the WG’s preliminary report and recommendations they should find them well reasoned and documented, and to afford considerable assistance to IGOs seeking to take curative action against an allegedly infringing/fraudulent or deceptive domain and associated website.

·         The staff note does not mention the first general principle that the IGO Small group states “should underpin the framework for any permanent solution concerning the protection of IGO names and acronyms in the domain name system”, with that principle being, “The basis for protection of IGO acronyms should not be founded in trademark law, as IGOs are created by governments under international law and are in an objectively different category of rights-holders”.

The CRP WG has extensively explored this matter and has reached a different conclusion --  that IGO rights holders seeking relief from identical or confusingly similar domains that have been registered and are being used in bad faith are not objectively different from trademark rights holders; and further finding that the easily obtained protections for IGO names and acronyms afforded by Article 6ter of the Paris Convention – that provide protection for those names and acronyms in the trademark law systems of every nation that has signed the Convention or that is a member of the WTO—can provide a sound basis for the standing of IGOs to initiate a URS or UDRP independent of trademark registration of the name or acronym.

·         While the Small Group Proposal is silent in regard to any underlying justification for its demand that IGOs be provided with a separate dispute resolution mechanism (that is, not the URS or UDRP), our interactions with IGO representatives revealed that the principal basis for that demand was the assertion of a very broad scope of sovereign immunity for IGOs. Because this question was so fundamental to the efforts of the WG, and because WG members possessed no independent expertise in this subject matter, we suspended our work for approximately one year in order to obtain nominal funding from ICANN and find a recognized expert in this field to provide the WG with guidance on whether there was any consensus view on the question of whether the “mutual jurisdiction” provision relevant to appeals of existing CRP mechanisms was at odds with the recognized scope of IGO immunity.

For my own part, had our legal expert told us that the consensus view was that the mutual jurisdiction provision conflicted with the recognized scope of IGO immunity I would have supported efforts to create an entirely new CRP solely for the use of IGOs. However, the report we received did not reach that conclusion.

·         Other than the demand for a separate CRP mechanisms, the report and recommendations from the CRP WG  will, in my view, meet the criteria set for the by the Small Group in regard to the targeting and available remedies of acceptable CR mechanisms.

·         The IGO Small Group Proposal makes no mention of the existing legal rights of domain registrants, an issue that the CRP WG has struggled with since its inception. It is well established that both the UDRP and URS are intended to be voluntary substitutes for available legal rights and not mandatory substitutes for them. The Small Group demand that “Decisions resulting from this[substitute]  mechanism shall be “appealable” through an arbitral process to be agreed” would strip domain registrants of their existing rights under various national laws. The CRP WG has concluded that, in the absence of clear consensus that IGOs enjoy broad and generally recognized sovereign immunity against being subject to such judicial appeal, it would be improper for ICANN to attempt to deprive registrants of existing legal rights. Further, the WG has further concluded that any such attempt might well be ineffective and likely rejected by a court in which a registrant sought to “appeal “ a CRP decision, as there is no reason why any national court (including those of the U.S.) would follow the dictates of a California non-profit corporation in regard to the exercise of such rights.

·         Finally, in regard to the concluding Next Steps section of the Small Group Proposal, I take personal exception to the second recommendation, which states “Subject to advice from the GAC and the GNSO, the GDD will consider adopting the amended proposal and instructing staff to work up the relevant implementation details for subsequent discussion and (as appropriate) approval”. That recommendation asserts a false equivalency between the roles of the GNSO and the GAC. The role of the GAC is to render advice. But the role of the GNSO is to develop and recommend policy to the ICANN Board, which is a  much more robust role than the mere rendering of advice. The GNSO should vigorously reject any attempt to portray its role in the policymaking process as equivalent to that of the GAC as being contrary to relevant Bylaws provisions and at odds with the entire concept of the multistakeholder model.

Further, it is the responsibility of the GAC and its constituent members, including IGOs, to participate in PDPs that relate to subject matters of concern rather than to weigh in at the 11th hour with proposals that are known to be at substantial variance with the preliminary conclusions of the relevant WG.

Finally, any GDD action on these matters should be undertaken only when the Board takes final action on relevant GNSO policy recommendations and related GAC advice. It would be completely improper and unprecedented for the GDD to consider adopting the Small Group Proposal  at this time, as the very existence of the CRP WG demonstrates that affording expanded CRP protections to IGOs raises serious policy issues and cannot be considered a mere implementation detail of the new gTLD program (noting further that creation of a separate CRP for legacy gTLDs can only be accomplished through new Consensus Policy, and that attempting to foist such process on registrants in legacy gTLDs via other means would likely face substantial legal challenge).  To the extent that the Next Steps section can be read as recommending near-term action on the Small Group Proposal without full community consideration of the forthcoming preliminary report and recommendations of the CRP WG it should be soundly rejected by the GNSO, the Board, and ICANN’s multistakeholder community as takin such action would fundamentally undermine ICANN’s policymaking process.

Of course, as noted above, the Board has already stated that it “will not take action with respect to GAC advice on curative rights protections for IGOs prior to the conclusion of the GNSO’s PDP”; the GAC has not endorsed the Small Group Proposal; and the natural meaning of the phrase “conclusion of the GNSO’s PDP” would encompass community comment on a preliminary report and recommendations as well as Council consideration of and action on a final report and recommendations and the transmission of its own recommendations for Board consideration.

I hope you find these comments useful, and I look forward to today’s call.

Best to all, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW