[council] FOR REVIEW: IGO acronyms - differences between GNSO policy, GAC advice and the small group proposal

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Oct 12 16:57:00 UTC 2016

Hello Paul and everyone,

In light of questions about the “small group”, staff thought it might be helpful to compile the timeline of the group’s formation and work for your reference.

February 2014: Board resolution acknowledges receipt of GNSO PDP recommendations, requests more time, directs NGPC to develop proposal for further consideration

March 2014 (ICANN49, Singapore): Initial NGPC proposal sent to the GAC and forwarded to GNSO Council

June 2014 – January 2015: Correspondence between the NGPC and GNSO Council regarding NGPC request that the GNSO consider modifying its original recommendations (in September, Chris Disspain also meets with the GNSO Council)

October 2014 (ICANN51, Los Angeles): small group is formed; its existence is mentioned during the GAC-GNSO joint meeting

June 2015 (ICANN53, GAC Communique from Buenos Aires): GAC acknowledges continuing discussions between the NGPC, GAC and IGOs (GAC Chairs also meet with the GNSO Curative Rights PDP Working Group co-chairs at this meeting)

July 2015: small group representatives meet face to face (except for this, most interactions are correspondence and document exchanges)

October 2015 (ICANN54, GAC Communique from Dublin): GAC requests Board to facilitate timely resolution of small group work (in November, Chris and Thomas Schneider also do an update call with several GNSO representatives)

March 2016 (ICANN55, GAC Communique from Marrakech): GAC acknowledges that GNSO is part of the continuing discussions and hopes for resolution of the issue

May 2016: GNSO Council letter requests further input from the Board

June 2016 (ICANN56, GAC Communique from Helsinki): GAC notes ongoing work of the small group (the small group also meets informally)

October 2016: Small group proposal delivered to ICANN Board, forwarded to GNSO Council and GAC

The Council may also wish to note the email update that was provided to the Council by Chris in late August (https://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/disspain-to-gnso-council-22aug16-en.pdf).

Thanks and cheers
Mary