[council] RE: Draft Motion - GNSO Validation of CCWG-Accountability Budget Request

Paul McGrady policy at paulmcgrady.com
Wed Sep 21 18:13:49 UTC 2016

Thanks Keith.

I share your concern and that of the RySG about the reopening discussions on
ICANN's  incorporation and/or physical headquarters.  As the instructions
from the CCWG make clear, the work of the Jurisdiction Subgroup can be done
without necessarily revisiting the issue.  I asked for a consensus call on
whether or not we should add this "elective" back in to the work of the
Jurisdiction Subteam on our call today (there appears to be a presumption
that it is in, unless it is out, and it's not clear to me how that little
bit of orthodox evolved).  A consensus call was not taken and it appears
that there are several within that subgroup that are going to push to have
this discussed.  Speaking personally, I think that would be a waste of time
and money and would be very hard to explain in the press.

Speaking personally again, I hope that the Council will consider -
regardless of the language we come up with on the expenditure issue, that
the GNSO Council at least does not believe that reopening discussions on
ICANN's  incorporation and/or physical headquarters is a good idea for WS2
and that we encourage the CCWG to make that clear to WS2 participants and
ask them to get on with the real work of the Subgroup, namely, an analysis
of how ICANN's current jurisdiction effects the outcomes of the WS1
accountability mechanisms and a proposal on how to patch any gaps (short of
leaving for other pastures outside of California).

Best,

Paul