[council] FW: [Soac-infoalert] ICANN News Alert -- Deferral of Country Code Names Supporting Organization Review

Edward Morris egmorris1 at toast.net
Tue Apr 11 16:00:01 UTC 2017

James,

> Personally, I wasn’t aware that these reviews could be deferred.

I don't believe they can be, which makes this proposal all the more interesting.

Section 4(1) of the ICANN Bylaws is quite clear:

"These periodic reviews shall be conducted no less frequently than every five years, based on feasibility as determined by the Board."

The feasibility clause does not abrogate the responsibility for having these reviews "no less frequently than every five years".

Obviously I'm missing something the discovery of which will make me seem fairly stupid. It's that or the Board is acting beyond its remit which would be a less than fantastic start to ICANN's new found independent existence.

Best,

Ed