[council] [Ext] Re: MOTION FOR ELECTRONIC (EMAIL) VOTE - Initiate Amendment Process on Specific Red Cross Names

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Apr 26 22:51:35 UTC 2017

Hello everyone – staff confirms James’ understanding of when and how the limited set of variations of the 190 Red Cross National Society names. The desire to have a single, limited list of specific variants of those 190 names is hopefully reflected in the language of the Board request as well as the current GNSO Council motion.

Regarding the number of Red Cross National Societies:
The number 189 was used in the Whereas clauses of the motion because there were 189 such societies at the time. The 190th Red Cross National Society (Tuvalu) only became part of the International Red Cross Red Crescent Movement in December 2015.

In this regard, Councilors may find it helpful to know that stringent criteria apply to the formation and recognition of a Red Cross National Society. For example, it can only be formed in a State that is party to the Geneva Conventions (currently, 196), and it must be formally recognized by the International Committee of the Red Cross in order to become a component of the Movement.

Perhaps one way to avoid confusion is to use the phrase “then-189” in the Whereas clauses and “now-190” in the Resolved portion?

On the motion:
As James noted, this motion covers the kick-off of the potential amendment process. At the end of the consultations with the reconvened PDP Working Group and following review of the public comments received, the Council will still have to vote on whether to adopt the proposed amendment – and that motion can carry only by Supermajority vote.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers
Mary