[council] Motion for JoBurg Meeting

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Thu Jun 15 19:11:01 UTC 2017

> On Jun 15, 2017, at 11:19 AM, icannlists <icannlists at winston.com> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Below is my motion for consideration when we are together in Johannesburg.  Safe travels.
>
> Best,
> Paul
>

>  <>WHEREAS, the domain names promulgated by ICANN are available globally and are not sponsored by any particular government (“Global Domains”);

Saying that only gTLDs are global may give a wrong impression on the scope of ccTLDs. There is also no requirement in RFC 1591 for a ccTLD to be sponsored by the local government, and indeed some ccTLD are not.

> WHEREAS, the term “generic” has several meanings within various portions of the ICANN Community;

That may be so, but in IG(Internet Governance) that definition has quite a lot of consensus around it.

> WHEREAS,  since the advent of .brand top level domain names, the use of the term “generic” in relationship to Global Domains has become increasingly confusing;

That advent brought some "non IG educated parties" to the table, and while I'm usually for using terminology that is better understood, changing terms that have bylaws impact should be with extreme care.

> WHEREAS, the ICANN Organization has already adjusted its nomenclature and has named the division of the organization dealing with non-ccTLD domain names the “Global Domains Division”

That's not correct. GDD also deals with non-gTLD matters, like IANA/PTI. https://www.icann.org/management-organization-chart documents this, but that's a nuance that staff explained to meearly on when GDD was created and I asked if that was by design or mistake.

Rubens