[council] Draft Motion: Preliminary Adoption of the GNSO Standing Selection Committee (SSC) Charter

Austin, Donna Donna.Austin at neustar.biz
Fri Mar 3 19:00:37 UTC 2017

James, all

I’ve made a number of changes to the attached motion and also raised a couple of questions for consideration.

On the substantive issues.

Membership:
I have a strong preference to make this a small group and as such opt for membership per SG as described in Option 1. My reading of the Charter is that Option 1 membership also includes the non-voting nominating committee appointee to the Council and the GNSO Leadership Team would also serve as ex-officio members. This means 8 members of the Council would make up the SSC.

Option 2 would result in the SSC comprising 11 members of the Council.

Diversity:
During our discussions of the charter, some have argued that it should be more prescriptive with regards to ensuring that there is a fair/balanced rotation among SGs with regard to candidates nominated/selected for positions. I agree that this is a consideration that the SSC should take into account throughout the selection processes, but this consideration should also be balanced in terms of ensuring that the candidate also has the necessary skills to make a valuable contribution to the role. I believe the language currently in the charter adequately provides for diversity and representativeness:
7.            The SSC shall strive as far as possible to achieve balance, representativeness, diversity and sufficient expertise appropriate for the applicable selection process.
However, given the SSC will be conducting a review of the charter after applying it to two selection processes, if the SSC believes this is not adequate they can recommend changes.

Selection:
While I have concerns about the use of full consensus, consensus etc. primarily because I would hate to think that we would ever be in a situation where we have minority view positions coming out of any SSC selection process, I think this is something that the SSC could also consider when they review the charter.

Thanks

Donna