[council] Path forward for CCWG-IG

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Tue May 2 22:11:59 UTC 2017

Colleagues –

At our meeting at ICANN57 (Hyderabad) the GNSO Council extended its support as a Chartering Organization for this CCWG, but tasked the leadership of this group to review its charter, and come to ICANN58 (Copenhagen) with a report of its findings and, potentially, a revised charter.  (https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#20161107-3)   As a result, the CCWG presented an updated charter shortly before our meeting in Copenhagen, but the Council did not have sufficient time to consider it during our Public Meeting at ICANN58 (http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2017-March/019816.html)  Finally, we briefly discussed this topic during our last meeting on 20 APR, but no action was taken. (https://gnso.icann.org/en/meetings/agenda-council-20apr17-en.htm, Item #8).

I propose that we target our next meeting (18 MAY) for a decision on this revised charter, and the GNSO’s continued participation as a Chartering Organization in the CCWG.

With this in mind, I ask all Councilors to discuss the revised charter with their respective SG/C (and here on the Council list) with the goal of submitting a relevant motion supporting or withdrawing from this CCWG by our Motion & Document deadline (currently 8 MAY).

Thank you,

J.