[council] Fwd: [soac-chairs] Draft Statement SSR2

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 11:36:35 UTC 2017

> Dear GNSO Council colleagues,

Following the Board's meeting with SSR2 and then meeting with SO/AC leaders
this afternoon, we have reached the point of further modifications to the
SO/AC communication below.

As James noted in our Wrap-Up meeting today, this is very much a negotiated
effort, and drafting by committee has had all the usual challenges. We have
added the note of thanks and tried to strengthen the forward-looking
concerns. The draft below has our, Brad Verd and Kristina Sataki's inputs.
It is now making the rounds.  It is a product of drafting by committee, so
it still needs a look with fresh eyes for typos etc.

My view is let's try not to re-open negotiation unless it's absolutely
imperative. I'm inclined to suggest that any lingering GNSO-specific
concerns that we want to hammer home can go into a GNSO-specific response.
Any objections?

Best wishes,

Heather

> STATEMENT FROM SO/AC CHAIRS ON THE SUSPENSION OF THE SECURITY AND
> STABILITY REVIEW
>
> The Chairs of ICANN’s Supporting Organizations (SOs) and Advisory
> Committees (ACs) acknowledge the 28 October 2017 announcement from the
> Board of Directors, pausing the work of the Security, Stability and
> Resiliency Review Team (SSR2-RT), and the Board's having tasked the SOs and
> ACs in sessions this week with addressing concerns raised by the Board,
> Organizational Effectiveness Committee (OEC), and the Security and
> Stability Advisory Committee (SSAC).
>
> Collectively, we accept responsibility for getting SSR2-RT restarted as
> expeditiously as possible. During various sessions throughout ICANN60, our
> groups have met with the Board and/or members of SSR2-RT to hear their
> concerns. We intend to continue to consult with our respective communities,
> and each other, to assess and address issues relating to the scope,
> composition and participation, resource utilization, and overall work plan
> of the Review.
>
> Additionally, the Board’s unilateral decision to suspend the work of a key
> accountability mechanism has raised questions that go to the independence
> of SSR2-RT, and specific reviews going forward. As a follow-on effort, we
> intend to examine the selection and scoping process for review teams, and
> develop a clear and predictable process for raising and addressing concerns
> about review teams. We also intend to carefully consider the Board's
> action, with a view to preventing similar instances in the future. We look
> forward to working collaboratively with the Board, SSR2-RT and the broader
> community on this task.

Finally, we wish to acknowledge the efforts of our colleagues on the
SSR2-RT to date, and thank them for their continued commitment towards