[council] Topic for Discussion at Abu Dhabi

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Wed Oct 25 01:58:19 UTC 2017

Colleagues –

With deference & respect to my RrSG colleague, I’m reluctant to table this topic during our meeting in Abu Dhabi.  On previous occasions, I’ve referred to it as a “black hole” or “cat nip” or “agenda killer”, as it nearly always results in un-constructive discussions, eats up meeting time, and ultimately shows up again and again on future agendas.

However, given that there’ve been some significant developments in the wild (.AMSTERDAM and letter from ICANN GDD), and the fact that earlier this year we committed to revisiting the topic in Abu Dhabi, we can go forward and include it on the agenda for 1 NOV.  BUT, I would ask that Michele and others first establish some ground rules that:

• Limit the scope of discussion to prevent us from trying to solve everything GDPR during the Council meeting, and
• Identifying what outcome or tangible action item we want to achieve as a result of our discussion.

With this in mind, I would ask Michele to help address these two points prior to our meeting in Abu Dhabi.  And if other Councilors have thoughts on how to limit this topic, please reply with those as well.

Thank you,

J.
James Bladel
GNSO Chair