[council] Topic for Discussion at Abu Dhabi

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Tue Oct 31 09:15:23 UTC 2017

All

As requested by James, to expand and clarify.

As Council we received a letter from Akram in respect to this topic some time ago (https://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/atallah-to-bladel-et-al-01aug17-en.pdf)

Since then the environment has changed and the discussions around GDPR have evolved considerably and it is in light of those changes that I would ask Council to consider it again.

The GNSO Council has been informed that the implementation of this policy is problematic and staff has, therefore, offered suggestions on how to render the implementation, and by extension the policy itself, usable. This does not infer for an instant that any aspect of the policy development process is being sidestepped or challenged. It does, however, underline how the operationalisation of policies can at times be out of step with reality. The letter included a number of options (non-exhaustive) that the Council could consider to address the comments received in response to the public comment period, namely:
An expedited policy development process; however, it is likely that this would take at least one year to complete and would focus on the underlying policy recommendations, not the procedure itself. With regard to the timeframe necessary to complete such an expedited PDP, it may not provide contracted parties with immediate relief.
The Council may also consider a standard PDP, noting that may extend the timeline even further.
In addition, the GNSO Council may consider incorporating a Contracted Party Request and/or Legal Opinion triggers, as previously discussed by the Implementation Advisory Group (IAG). However, the Council would need to first assess whether these triggers are consistent or not with the underlying policy recommendations noting that these two additional triggers previously did not obtain consensus support from the IAG, which recommended adoption of the Alternative Trigger.
The Contracted Party Request Trigger requires a contracted party to request for ICANN to investigate whether the request has met the required standard for triggering the procedure by presenting ICANN with a request describing the legal conflict as well as written support from a Data Protection Authority (highly recommended), all other affected registries and/or registrars or justification for why they are the only affected party (mandatory), and a written support or non-objection to the request from the relevant GAC member or relevant government agency if the jurisdiction does not have a GAC member (mandatory).
The Legal Opinion Trigger consists of a written legal opinion from a nationally recognized law firm stating that national laws or statutes in the country of incorporation of a contracted party will affect its compliance with the provisions of the RAA or other contractual agreement with ICANN dealing with the collection, display or distribution of personally identifiable data via Whois.

With that in mind I would suggest that council consider forming a small group to consider these options and possible others and formally respond to Akram's letter.

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon