[council] Fwd: Re: [soac-chairs] IMPORTANT REQUEST: Update on GDPR and Next Steps

James M. Bladel jbladel at godaddy.com
Fri Sep 15 14:12:22 UTC 2017

Councilors -

See thread below. ICANN is convening a round table discussion on the subject of GDPR in Brussels in early October, and will support 2 delegates from each SO/AC. I have also included my reply to David, noting that this is not sufficient to capture all views within the GNSO.

While ICANN considers this, however, we need the SGs and Cs to meet and identify 2 candidate (one primary and one alternate) to represent their House in Brussels. GNSO Staff will contact the SG/C leaders to get this started. I'll then work with Staff to get these names submitted to David, Theresa, and Göran.

If we are limited to 2 travelers, then the Primaries will go, but if we are granted 4, we'll call up the Alternates as well. Note that my understanding is that these will be open discussions, and folks are free to attend the meeting on their own. I expect there will also be support for remote participation options.

Thank you,

James Bladel
GNSO Chair

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: James M. Bladel
Date: Sep 13, 2017, 15:48 -0700
To: David Olive , soac-chairs at icann.org
Cc: Goran Marby , Theresa Swinehart
Subject: Re: [soac-chairs] IMPORTANT REQUEST: Update on GDPR and Next Steps

Dear David, Göran, and SO/AC Colleagues –

First off, many thanks to ICANN for convening this group. Anxiety and uncertainty surrounding GDPR is high, and urgent action is necessary to fill in some of what we currently do not know.

That said, I must note that allocating 2 representatives from the GNSO is not a viable approach.  The GNSO is home to Contracted Parties (Registries and Registrars), along with individuals and organizations representing the interests of Intellectual Property owners, Business & Commercial users, civil society, and privacy advocacy groups.  Asking this spectrum of stakeholders to decide on 2 delegates who are capable of representing all views isn’t practical.  Or, to put it another way, if I go back to the GNSO and ask for two slots for a high-level GDPR meeting, my SO will eat me alive.

Therefore, I am respectfully requesting that ICANN consider expanding the GNSO delegation to a minimum of 4 individuals.  I expect that many more folks from the GNSO will attend on their own.

Thank you,

James Bladel
GNSO Chair

From: <soac-chairs-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of David Olive <david.olive at icann.org>
Date: Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 12:34
To: SO-AC Chairs List <soac-chairs at icann.org>
Cc: Goran Marby <goran.marby at icann.org>, Theresa Swinehart <theresa.swinehart at icann.org>
Subject: [soac-chairs] IMPORTANT REQUEST: Update on GDPR and Next Steps

Dear SO/AC Chairs:

As you know, the topic of the GDPR is an important one, in particular to the relationship of WHOIS and the GDPR. We’ve undertaken much work to receive input on the user stories, which have been published together with a blog updating on progress to date and next steps.

As we engage on the topic and share the user stories, and possible implications of the legislation on existing WHOIS policy, we would like to give the opportunity to the SO and ACs to engage and join in meetings to provide their perspectives.

With this, Göran has asked me to invite SO/AC representatives to a roundtable in Brussels to share your perspectives on the topic, and have a direct dialogue with the EC and available DPAs. We are still determining the date for this roundtable in the first week of October. ICANN organization will facilitate but not participate in the roundtable. In preparation, we’d like to invite you, should you wish, to identify 2 representatives from your SO and AC’s, for which we can provide limited travel support, to join for this roundtable. We are also exploring remote participation so others in the ICANN Community can listen to the roundtable discussion.

Related, the latest postings including the updated user stories/summary document are listed below and may be of interest:

  *   New blog: https://www.icann.org/news/blog/data-protection-and-privacy-progress-update-and-next-steps
  *   Updated user stories/summary document https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/gdpr-dataflow-matrix-whois-11sep17-en.pdf (Posted on the gTLD Registration Dataflow Matrix and Information page<https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/gtld-registration-dataflow-matrix-2017-07-24-en>)

Please contact me or Theresa Swinehart, and we look forward to following up with you.

Best regards,


David A. Olive
Senior Vice President
Policy Development Support
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20170915/698be6c4/attachment.html>

More information about the council mailing list