[council] Draft motion on RPM Working Group data request for submission to GNSO Council

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Thu Sep 21 03:16:09 UTC 2017

Rubens:

Thanks for this further feedback.

I am aware that the new gTLDs went through multiple permutations and am not personally familiar with all the twists and turns from the IRT to STI to Applicant Guidebook to implementation decisions. My co-chairs may have more intimate knowledge and I invite them, as well as support staff, to chime in regarding your assertion.

Whether the RPMs as implemented are policy or just implementation details can be debated, but they are clearly not Consensus Policy as our Charter requires to consider and recommend whether one or more of them should become so.

As for determining which if any deviate the most from approved policy, I suppose we could consider that as a factor if we have to perform survey triage due to budget constraints , if we can agree on how to measure that. On the other hand, our Charter does require us to evaluate them all, and we can only collect data on the RPMs as actually implemented.

Best, Philip

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW