[council] Fwd: [So-ac-sg-cleaders] GDPR Announcements

Erika Mann erika at erikamann.com
Wed Apr 4 09:20:09 UTC 2018

There's still so much misunderstanding about how the European national Data
Protection Authorities (DPA) work and how they organize their work in the
current Article 29 Working Party (WP). To have a regular public
communication with the Art 29 WP is not the most common way companies
communicate with this entity.  In particular when this entity, the Art 29
WP is in the process of transitioning itself into a more real agency, the
so called European Data Protection Supervisory (EDPS). The role of the so
called Berlin Group in the recent letter is btw not to issue guidance. It's
not a regulatory body and the Berlin DPA office is operating as a
secretariat, it's not speaking on behalf the German DPAs. The idea of this
group was to create more international harmony in intellectual discussion
surrounding data protection issues. Anyhow, I mentioned this many times
before.

Erika