[council] SSR2 update and proposed immediate action

Arsène Tungali arsenebaguma at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 09:13:07 UTC 2018

Hi Heather,

I have no objections with regards to both calls.

I support the move. Let's not miss the Friday deadline since we have a
qualified individual willing (hoping he is available) to serve.


**Arsène Tungali* <http://about.me/ArseneTungali>*
Co-Founder & Executive Director, *Rudi international
CEO,* Smart Services Sarl <https://www.smart-kitoko.com/>*, *Mabingwa Forum
Tel: +243 993810967
GPG: 523644A0
*Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo*

2015 Mandela Washington Felllow
(YALI) - ISOC Ambassador (IGF Brazil
& Mexico
- AFRISIG 2016 <http://afrisig.org/afrisig-2016/class-of-2016/> - Blogger
<http://tungali.blogspot.com> - ICANN's GNSO Council
<https://gnso.icann.org/en/about/gnso-council.htm> Member. AFRINIC Fellow (
- *IGFSA Member <http://www.igfsa.org/> - Internet Governance - Internet

Check the *2016 State of Internet Freedom in DRC* report (English
<http://cipesa.org/?wpfb_dl=234>) and (French

2018-04-11 15:29 GMT+02:00 Rafik Dammak <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>:

> Hi Heather,
> thanks for the reminder, I reiterate my support for the approach and I
> have no objection with regard to the 2 calls. Thanks again for the work
> done to liaise with SO/AC leaders on SSR2 and getting things moving.
> Best,
> Rafik
> 2018-04-11 12:16 GMT+09:00 Heather Forrest <haforrestesq at gmail.com>:
>> Thanks very much, Philippe, for your input, which I interpret as support
>> for a call for objections. Philippe's post is the only input received on
>> this point. In the interests of meeting Friday's deadline, may I please
>> make last call for (in particular, objections) to the idea of a call for
>> objections as a means of Council's satisfying its February resolution on
>> the appointment of additional SSR2 members, with any such intervention to
>> be made in the next 24 hours. After that point, assuming we go ahead with
>> call for any objections to Scott McCormick's appointment, we'll immediately
>> turn to that call for objections, to end on Friday morning in the last
>> timezone in which a Councillor ordinarily resides (ie, California USA).
>> To recap and restate, as the above may not be 100% clear:
>>    - Call for objections 1: on whether a call for objections
>>    appropriately carries out Council's responsibility in considering the
>>    additional SSR2 member recommended by the SSC (objections deadline 24 hours
>>    from sending this email)
>>    - Call for objections 2: on the appointment of Scott McCormick as the
>>    GNSO's 4th SSR2-RT member (objections deadline Friday 0900 Los Angeles time
>> Many thanks,
>> Heather
>> On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 2:04 AM, <philippe.fouquart at orange.com> wrote:
>>> Heather,
>>> Thanks for this. No objection on the proposed process. With a new seat,
>>> this way forward seems to be the spirit, if not the goal, of the “resolved
>>> 5” on the motion, so it’s a good thing to have seats for both given the
>>> recommendation from the standing selection committee.
>>> Regards,
>>> Philippe
>>> *From:* council [mailto:council-bounces at gnso.icann.org] *On Beha**lf Of
>>> *Heather Forrest
>>> *Sent:* Tuesday, April 10, 2018 6:13 AM
>>> *To:* GNSO Council List
>>> *Subject:* [council] SSR2 update and proposed immediate action
>>> Dear Council colleagues,
>>> I'm pleased to provide this update on SSR2 and a proposal for next steps.
>>> ·  The SO/AC Chairs met this morning and agreed to finalise the slate
>>> of members going forward on the RT by this Friday.
>>> ·  The group agreed that the additional potential member (as noted in
>>> our motion of February) from GNSO could join, along with a possible
>>> additional member from SSAC.
>>> ·  The GNSO's SSC made clear that the additional volunteer was
>>> qualified and first choice in the event of an opening; our
>>> motion 20180222-2 (https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201802)
>>> states (note Resolved 5 bolded below):
>>> Resolved,
>>> 1.  The GNSO Council nominates Rao Naveed bin Rais to replace James
>>> Gannon on the SSR2-RT.
>>> 2.  The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to communicate
>>> resolved #1 to the staff supporting the SSR2-RT as soon as possible.
>>> 3.  The GNSO Council instructs the GNSO Secretariat to inform the
>>> selected applicant that he has been chosen and that the GNSO Council
>>> expects that the applicant will represent the views of the entire GNSO
>>> community in his work on the SSR2-RT, and provide regular feedback as a
>>> group on the discussions taking place in the SSR2-RT, as well as the
>>> positions being taken by GNSO Review Team Members.
>>> 4.  The GNSO Council asks the GNSO Secretariat to send a response to
>>> the applicant who was not selected, thanking him for his continued
>>> interest. The response should also encourage him to follow the SSR2-RT
>>> work, and participate in Public Comments and community discussions.
>>> 5.  *If the Council is in a position to nominate an additional
>>> candidate for the SSR2-RT in the future, the Council will consider Scott
>>> McCormick as a first choice for this position, following the SSC's
>>> recommendation that he is also a strong and qualified candidate.*
>>> In light of the effort to finalise the slate by the end of this week,
>>> may I propose the following as an immediate next step - is it sufficient
>>> and acceptable that we interpret "the Council will consider Scott McCormick
>>> as a first choice for this position" as being satisfied by a call on the
>>> Council list for objections to adding Scott McCormick to be raised over a
>>> period of 48 hours or so, and at the same time Council leadership may
>>> contact Scott to determine whether he's still willing to be appointed to
>>> the RT?
>>> Please in the first instance respond with your thoughts on the proposed
>>> approach of call for objections, which proposal I make mindful that I would
>>> not like for GNSO to miss the Friday deadline and be the group that holds
>>> up the appointment of the facilitator (which won't take place until the
>>> slate is confirmed) and thus the re-start.
>>> Best wishes,
>>> Heather
>>> _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
>>> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidentielles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
>>> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu ce message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
>>> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages electroniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
>>> Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.
>>> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged information that may be protected by law;
>>> they should not be distributed, used or copied without authorisation.
>>> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this message and its attachments.
>>> As emails may be altered, Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
>>> Thank you.
>> _______________________________________________
>> council mailing list
>> council at gnso.icann.org
>> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/council
> _______________________________________________
> council mailing list
> council at gnso.icann.org
> https://mm.icann.org/mailman/listinfo/council
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20180412/02a2a979/attachment.html>

More information about the council mailing list