[council] [EXTERNAL] Re: SCBO Proposed Comment on Reserve Fund Replenishment

Austin, Donna Donna.Austin at team.neustar
Fri Apr 20 18:17:39 UTC 2018

Hi Ayden

Thank you for the friendly reminder. I wanted to address your question about replenishment timeframe.

In short the RySG does not support changing the language from “three to five years” as proposed by the BC.

From an RySG perspective we see no reason to rush replenishment and believe that 5 years is adequate for the following reasons:

-        Every year that additional funds are added to the Reserve Fund means that ICANN is at less risk than the previous one i.e. the situation gets progressively de-risked each year

-        Going faster than 5 years will place more demand on the funder (most likely ICANN Org) and therefore remove funds available to ICANN Org and / or the broader community

-        It is far from clear that a 12 month Reserve Fund (of the full 2018/2018 budget) is required i.e. if ICANN goes into Reserve Fund mode, many non-essential items will be cut and the actual quantum will be lower

Our preference, therefore, is to maintain the original language in the Council response: The GNSO Council supports the proposed replenishment period which would see the Reserve Fund brought to the agreed target level in five or less years.

Thanks again

Donna

Donna Austin
Neustar, Inc. / Senior Policy Manager, Registry Solutions
Mobile: +1 310 890 9655
donna.austin at team.neustar<mailto:donna.austin at team.neustar> / Website: home.neustar<http://www.home.neustar/>

Follow Neustar: LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/5349> / Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/neustar>
Reduce your environmental footprint. Print only if necessary.
The information contained in this email message is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above and may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient you have received this email message in error and any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately and delete the original message.