[council] ICANN61 GNSO Weekend session invitation and briefing paper

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 23:39:42 UTC 2018

Dear GNSO PDP leadership teams, SG/C leaders and the GNSO community,

ICANN61 is soon approaching, and the GNSO Council sees this meeting as a
perfect opportunity to start a broader GNSO community discussion about the
high volume of PDPs underway and how to optimise resources and improve
effectiveness in this environment. Let's talk openly and critically about
our PDPs and what changes can be made so that we're all working smarter,
not harder or longer.

At the first-ever GNSO Council Strategic Planning Session held 3 weeks ago,
we saw the germination of some bold strategies for how to tackle the
growing PDP workload and participant numbers. Marika and Emily (ICANN
staff) fueled our discussion with their thought-provoking concept paper on
"optimizing engagement" (attached). You'll find a summary of our
discussions - at this stage just high-level ideas - in the report of our
strategic planning session, a final version of which will be circulated
this week. (In the meantime, you'll find the first draft posted on the
Council list
https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/2018-February/020925.html)

One of the key action items to come out of the three-day strategic planning
session was a decision to devote time in the ICANN61 Council schedule to
broaden these strategic discussions to involve PDP leadership and the
entire GNSO community. Individually and collectively, we have in a variety
of ways and forums raised concerns about the benefit of improving efficiency
and effectiveness in PDPs. There are certain PDP requirements that are set
in stone, but at the same time, the PDP provides other areas of of
flexibility in terms of the work can be carried out. Let's get
together to discuss
how we could better leverage the in-built flexibilities.

We invite all PDP leadership team members, SG/C leaders and the wider GNSO
community to join the Council on Sunday in San Juan for brainstorming
possible ways and methods to make GNSO policy development more successful.
We will devote the full morning of the GNSO weekend session (9am-12 noon local
San Juan time) to this topic. Please participate and contribute your
thoughts to help shape the future of PDPs. Attached to this message you'll
find a briefing paper setting out specific thought-provoking questions to
fuel the discussion.

SG/C leaders, please circulate this invitation within your communities.

Wishing everyone safe travels to San Juan,

Heather Forrest, GNSO Council Chair

Donna Austin, GNSO Council Vice Chair (CPH)

Rafik Dammak, GNSO Council Vice Chair (NCPH)