[council] Suggestion for membership criteria of proposed Expedited Policy Development Process

Austin, Donna Donna.Austin at team.neustar
Wed Jun 13 21:53:36 UTC 2018

I think Marie has identified an important point. Each SG/SO will have their own process for selecting and appointing their representatives/members to the WG and in this regard I don’t think the Council can or should prescribe any part of that process. The Council can certainly provide guidance, as Marie has suggested, but I don’t believe the Council will any authority to reject any person from the WG that has been appointed by an SG/SO, because they don’t have not undertaken training in GDPR.

That being the case, it does seem that there is a lot of support for the idea that training of some form about GDPR would be a helpful. Perhaps, rather than having the training as a pre-requisite, the WG members will be required to  undertake a training course as a group early in their tenure. Given the temporary specification is intended to find a way for contracted parties to be compliant with the GDPR regulation in a manner that maintains the integrity of the WHOIS to the greatest extent possible, it would make sense that any training course be developed in that context. As Erika noted, GDPR is a complex law, but it does appear that there are some elements that are more relevant to our discussion than others, and some elements that have no relevance at all. To that end, it would make more sense to have a training session that is tailored to the scope of what we expect will be dealt with in the ePDP discussions. I would argue that we don’t need people who are experts in the GDPR regulation on the WG, but we do need people who are knowledgeable about its applicability in the ICANN context. By way of example, I believe the RySG and RrSG now have a lot more people that understand GDPR and its impact on contracted parties than we did 12 months ago and not because they took a course on GDPR, but because they have had to develop “practical, hands-on experience” to use Marie’s words, of GDPR in the ICANN context.

While we are spending a lot of time discussing the need or not for this GDPR specific training, perhaps we could also give some thought to other knowledge and skillsets that we think would be beneficial for the ePDP WG so that we can provide this feedback to the SG/SO for their respective selection processes.

Donna