[council] Fwd: Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Thu May 3 01:02:02 UTC 2018

Dear Council colleagues,

Following up on an Action Item from our April Council meeting (last week) I
note the update below from Board Chairman Cherine Chalaby re Board thinking
on the GDPR/RDS intersection.

I know that not all agreed in our April meeting with the idea of a small
team, but we need to decide fairly swiftly on an effective way forward in
terms of preparations. Marika has circulated helpful information about
Expedited PDPs on the Council list; Donna, Rafik and I have been discussing
possible next steps and have contemplated a webinar to further elucidate
that documented EPDP information, but taking that idea any further needs
input from Councillors. The update below from Cherine is helpful but of
course there remains uncertainty in the space. We have numerous things
happening in May - the Board's workshop, GDD summit, and our own Council
meeting at the end of the month - not to mention May 25th.

All thoughts on how to efficiently and effectively move forward are

Best wishes,


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Cherine Chalaby <cherine.chalaby at board.icann.org>
Date: Wed, May 2, 2018 at 3:28 AM
Subject: Re: [council] Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018
To: Heather Forrest <haforrestesq at gmail.com>

Hi Heather,

Thank you for your note below.   The Board has indeed progressed its
thinking but has not made a definitive determination at this point.   A
temporary specification for the implementation of an interim model now
appears to be the best route forward and the Board is prepared to act on it
at its next workshop in Vancouver which we will be held on 11-13 May.
Having said that, ICANN org continues to engage with the Article 29 Working
Party and with the European Commission and we have to remain flexible in
the event something surprising emerges from these discussions.

Hope this is helpful.
Best regards,

On 1 May 2018, at 06:13, Heather Forrest <haforrestesq at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Cherine,

I hope this message finds you well.

You'll see from the Action Items below from last Thursday's GNSO Council
meeting that we are making some progress in preparations for Board action
on GDPR/RDS PDP, following our discussions with you, Chris, Goran, etc.
(FYI audio here https://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-council-26apr18-en.mp3
and transcript here https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/

Council has asked me to follow up with you to see if the Board's thinking
has progressed since our conversation as to whether a temporary policy
specification is likely, or any other thoughts that may be under
discussion, as this will help us considerably in terms of the pace and
scope of our "preparations". Any insight you might be able to share with me
would be most appreciated.

Many thanks and best wishes,


---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Steve Chan <steve.chan at icann.org>
Date: Tue, May 1, 2018 at 1:53 PM
Subject: [council] Action Items: GNSO Council meeting 26 April 2018
To: "Austin, Donna via council" <council at gnso.icann.org>

Dear Councilors,

Please find the action items, as stated during the meeting, below arising
from the GNSO Council meeting held on Thursday, 26 April 2018.

Please ensure your wiki logins are up to date as all Action Items have been
assigned to councilors and/or staff and posted on the Action Item wiki page
If you are logged into the wiki when you go to that page, your name will be
highlighted alongside the action item assigned to you. Please refer to this
page for the recent status updates on the Action items.


*Item 2. Review of Projects and Action Items List*


   - *Small team of Councilors** to ensure that they coordinate with the
   ccNSO in addressing the Board request regarding emoji.*

*Customer Standing Committee Charter (CSC)*

   - *ICANN Staff **to call for volunteers to form small drafting team
   (Volunteer(s): Rafik Dammak) to develop Council input on the proposed
   changes to the Customer Standing Committee Charter (CSC) (see
   - *And Small drafting team to submit proposed Council input to the
   Council for consideration in time for the next GNSO Council meeting on 24
   May. Deadline for submission of comments is 1 June. *

*Item 3. Consent Agenda*

*Voting Results:*

   - Motions passed unanimously by voice vote.

*Action Items:*

   - *Council Leadership* to formally communicate the GNSO Review of the
   San Juan GAC Communiqué to the ICANN Board with copy to the GAC.
   - *ICANN Staff* to communicate agreement with ICANN Org to continue to
   treat the Community gTLD Change Request process as a matter of

*Item 4: COUNCIL VOTE – In Memory of Stéphane Van Gelder*

*Voting Results:*

   - Motion passed unanimously by voice vote.

*Action Items:*

   - *ICANN Staff* to update motion to reflect whole GNSO Council as
   seconder. [COMPLETE]
   - *ICANN Staff *to communicate outcome of motion to Stéphane’s family.

*Item 5: UPDATE – CCWG-Accountability-WS2 status of work and expected
timeline for delivery of Final Report*

*Action items:*

   - *Council *to familiarize themselves with recommendations in
   preparation for consideration of Final Report.
   - *Council members *to encourage their respective groups to provide
   input to the currently open public comment forum (close date of 11 May
   2018) to identify potential inconsistencies in the recommendations (see

*Item 6: IGO-INGO Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms *

*Agreement: *

   - No objection from Council to proceed as suggested by Council liaison
   Susan Kawaguchi during the update.

Action items:

   - *Susan Kawaguchi *to collaborate with the PDP WG and staff to develop
   a draft final report for preliminary consideration by the GNSO Council
   (targeting May meeting).

*Item 7: UPDATE – ICANN Board Temporary Policy Proposal *

*Action Items*:

   - *Council *to develop next steps in preparation for possible adoption
   of temporary policy by the ICANN Board which would kick off a one year PDP.
   - *Heather Forrest *to follow up with Cherine Chalaby to see if there is
   any new information from the Board.

*Item 8: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Discussion of Updates to the Consensus Policy
Implementation Framework (CPIF)*

*Action Items*:

   - *Councilors *to review proposed amendments to the Consensus Policy
   Implementation Framework (CPIF) and if desired, disseminate to their
   respective Stakeholder Groups/Constituencies. The goal is to ensure
   feedback is returned to ICANN org in a timely manner and allow for them to
   provide a proposed final version by the end of July.
   - *Councilors *to review Post Implementation Consensus Policy Review
   Framework (PICPRF) process diagram and complete survey by 18 May (see

*Item 9: COUNCIL DISCUSSION – Review of the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy

*Action Items*:

   - *ICANN Staff *to follow up with Councilors who raised questions /
   issues during the call (Darcy Southwell, Michele Neylon, and Pam Little) to
   confirm whether these were addressed or whether there are remaining
   concerns and/or input that they want to provide on the suggested scope of
   the IRTP review
   - If no remaining concerns and/or input is provided, *ICANN Staff* to
   proceed with preparation of the Post-Implementation Policy Status Report
   for delivery to the GNSO Council, if possible by end of June 2018.

*Item 11: UPDATE – Joint Timeline of the All Rights Protection Mechanisms
in All gTLDs and New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP WGs*

*Action Items*:

   - *Council liaisons to WGs *to scope the issue and understand
   requirements/dependencies between the two PDP WGs.

*12.1 – Any Other Business*

*12.1 Update on scheduling for ICANN62 *

*Action Items*:

   - Following confirmation of Cross Community/High Interest Topics and
   placement in schedule, *Council leadership* to review and finalise GNSO
   Schedule together with staff.



*Steven Chan*

Policy Director, GNSO Support


12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300

Los Angeles, CA 90094

steve.chan at icann.org

mobile: +1.310.339.4410

office tel: +1.310.301.5800

office fax: +1.310.823.8649

Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses and visiting
the GNSO Newcomer pages

Follow @GNSO on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ICANN_GNSO

Follow the GNSO on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/icanngnso/


council mailing list
council at gnso.icann.org

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/council/attachments/20180503/c601bc67/attachment-0001.html>

More information about the council mailing list