[council] GNSO Council IGO INGO Curative Rights Q&A webinar recording Tuesday 9 October 2018

Marie Pattullo marie.pattullo at aim.be
Tue Oct 9 13:28:36 UTC 2018

Thanks Nathalie!

All – from an expectation management POV, please note that in the attached EMEA newsletter (13th August), the article on the IGO-INGO Report says:

“On 9 July 2018, the International Governmental Organization and International Non-Governmental Organization (IGO-INGO) Access to Curative Rights Protection Mechanisms Policy Development Process (PDP) Working Group submitted its Final Report to the GNSO Council. The Final Report contains five consensus recommendations. Since October 2012, the Governmental Advisory Committee (GAC) has issued advice on the topic of IGO identifier protections. Several inconsistencies between the GAC advice and PDP consensus recommendations have yet to be reconciled, including on the topic of appropriate protections for IGO acronyms. The Council determined to review the PDP Final Report with a view toward facilitating the resolution of the outstanding inconsistencies between existing GAC Advice and prior GNSO policy recommendations on the overall scope of IGO protections. In the meantime, the Council informed the ICANN Board and the GAC that the PDP Working Group has completed its work”.

So if we are going to send it up to the Board without such resolution, I think we should consider an accompanying explanation as to why we couldn’t get there.

Best to all

Marie