[council] PDP Leadership Travel Support Pilot report - any objections

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Wed Sep 5 23:34:42 UTC 2018

Hello Ayden and everyone,

In response to Ayden's question, the ABR Evaluation Team (i.e. the Request Assessment Team) comprises staff from the strategic community operations, planning and engagement team within the Policy Department (viz. the team that I now manage) along with staff from other departments which interact closely with the community (such as the Global Stakeholder Engagement and Public Responsibility Support Departments). The Evaluation (or Assessment) Team consults with ICANN's Finance Team and other relevant staff (depending on the specific ABRs under consideration) and reports to the senior executives responsible for Policy, GSE and Finance. All recommendations are first reviewed by the senior executives before they are finalized and sent to the Board via the Board Finance Committee as part of the overall FY budget planning and approval process.

If I may, and having helped shepherd the last ABR process through, I think it will be very helpful if all community groups submitting ABRs include clear, achievable objectives and precise, meaningful metrics in their requests that align with the role, scope and goals of the respective community. The Assessment Team looks at all requests submitted very carefully and thoroughly, and as stated in the ABR Principles, all requests "must be consistent with the charter of the requesting community group" and "must be resolved within the parameters of [i.e. what is stated by the relevant group in its request) the request" (see https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/74584652/Community%20Special%20Budget%20Request%20Principles%20%28FY19%29.pdf?version=2&modificationDate=1518204458000&api=v2). For pilot programs - such as the GNSO PDP chairs' travel pilot - assessments are always conducted before a decision is made as to whether or not a program should be considered part of the core (rather than ABR) budget from year to year.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if the Council - or, indeed, any of the stakeholder groups and constituencies which you represent - will find it helpful to meet with representatives of the Assessment Team.

Thanks and cheers
Mary (briefly wearing my non-GNSO staff hat!)