[council] Invitation for 2018/2019 GNSO Councilors to 2019 Strategic Planning Session

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 08:59:00 UTC 2018

Dear 2018/19 GNSO Councilors,

We are very pleased to inform you that the FY19 Additional Budget Request
for the GNSO Council Strategic Planning Session has been accepted for a
2-day face-to-face meeting. It has been decided to combine the Strategic
Planning Session with the annual provision for a GNSO Council Development
day. The latter is traditionally scheduled in conjunction with the Annual
General Meeting, but as this extends an already lengthy public meeting, it
will be moved to January 2019.  This allows for a 3-day face-to-face
meeting in January 2019 to allow the GNSO Council to induce new Council
members and to conduct a focused and dedicated strategic planning session
in order to develop a work plan for the year ahead and beyond, factoring in
the existing workload as well as new and ongoing initiatives (such as PDP
3.0). Our efforts in January 2018 to catalogue all ongoing projects (the
“scary spreadsheet”) and discuss budget priorities have quickly become a
model for other SO/ACs; we have here an invaluable opportunity in this
upcoming 2019 session to improve upon our inaugural SPS and take even
bigger steps towards making the work of the Council more efficient and
effective.

To maximize the funding received, the Strategic Planning Session will be
held from Wednesday 23rd  to Friday 25th January 2019, not including
travel, at the ICANN office in Los Angeles.

One of the requirements of the pilot program is that the session be based
at an ICANN office location for logistical and financial purposes. Full
travel support (i.e., airfare, hotel) will be provided to all 21 GNSO
Councilors (2018/2019 Council members) as well as the GNSO Liaison to the
GAC. Meeting space as well as AV support will of course be provided, as
well as GNSO Support staff for facilitation.Further details will be
circulated shortly with information about travel.

We hope that all incoming/continuing Councilors will prioritise this
special opportunity to come together as a new Council, set priorities, and
work out strategies for delivering upon and communicating these to the
wider ICANN community.

Best wishes,

Heather Forrest, Donna Austin, Rafik Dammak