[council] EPDP Weekly update

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Fri Sep 14 16:08:14 UTC 2018

Hi Rafik,

Thank you for your response to my observations and questions, and thanks for your hard work as Council liaison and Vice Chair. As you know, as managers of this expedited PDP process, we need to make sure Council receives early warning of any potential issues or road blocks. I encourage you and Kurt to proactively communicate with Council when faced with impediments to the success of the ePDP.  I have some follow up thoughts to your responses:

*       In creating the charter, the drafting team recognized the complexity of what the working group was being asked to do and the tight timeframe involved, and so deliberately laid out the charter questions in the mission and scope section to guide the working group through the questions it would need to answer and the steps it would need to follow to develop consensus policy recommendations to address the temporary specification.

*       Am I correct in understanding your response that the leadership team and support staff have made the decision not to follow the path laid out in the charter?  It appears, instead, that the working group is going through and deliberating on each section of the temporary specification which, as you put it, is likely to product both redlines and policy recommendations.

*       You referenced the “Discussion Summary Index” found on the working group wiki page (https://community.icann.org/display/EOTSFGRD/c.+Temporary+Specification+Discussion+Summary+Indexes).  While these documents contain the temporary specification language, relevant advice from DPA/EDPB correspondence, input from the triage exercise and a mapping to related charter question(s), it is not clear how those summaries are being used to help guide the group toward consensus.

*       Noting the work and project plan on the working group wiki page (https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=88574682), I’d like to understand the rationale behind deliberating section by section through the temporary specification instead of following the charter questions.

Finally, I am concerned with the part of your response where you say the working group still needs to figure out what the outcome of the EPDP should be.  How can the group organize its work if they do not know what they are working towards as a deliverable?  I’d appreciate an update to Council from you or Kurt on this matter specifically.

Thanks and regards,

Keith