[council] EPDP & Accreditation/Access Model

Darcy Southwell darcy.southwell at endurance.com
Tue Sep 18 15:11:09 UTC 2018

The BC/IPC recently sent a letter to ICANN org
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/bc-ipc-to-marby-07sep1
8-en.pdf) about the accreditation and access model.  This letter seems
problematic at this stage of the game.  We discussed this issue ad nauseam
during the EPDP Charter development and the Council has tasked the EPDP with
addressing the Annex. To ask ICANN org to circumvent the EPDP undermines the
policy development process and seems disingenuous to the Council's approval
of the Charter.  In addition, the EDPB's July 5 letter states responsibility
for designing an access model lies with ICANN and the registries/registrars,
not just ICANN as indicated in the BC/IPC letter.

Will our BC and/or IPC councilors please shed some light on this?

Thanks,

Darcy