[council] EPDP & Accreditation/Access Model

Michele Neylon - Blacknight michele at blacknight.com
Wed Sep 26 20:53:04 UTC 2018

Paul
Your history regarding the Contracted Parties and the Temp Spec is not accurate.

The Contracted Parties asked ICANN repeatedly to deal with the obvious gaps between our contracts, ICANN policies and governing law.
This predates any discussions of GDPR, though it was only with the impending risks of the GDPR and the associated fines that ICANN org started taking our concerns seriously.  The late, rushed, and top-down nature of the Temp Spec was unappealing to everyone, including Contracted Parties.

Registrars and registries are engaged in good faith with the policy development process and want it to succeed, but if the ePDP fails then there will be no binding rules around whois / RDS etc.  The ePDP is specifically designed to address an access model during  a later phase.

Lobbying ICANN directly as the IPC / BC has been doing in my mind undermines the work of the ePDP.
I hope that we can all concentrate on successfully completing the EPDP first, rather than requesting more top-down initiatives from ICANN.

Regards
Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon