[council] Loss of Adobe Connect

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Thu Apr 4 17:32:12 UTC 2019

Thanks for your responses.

I appreciate that there is sometimes the need for change, and sometimes change can be a good thing.

I have a few concerns though.

Primarily, I am worried that we will lose many years of Adobe Connect archives, as many meetings are preserved only in the proprietary Adobe Connect format.

The transcripts that ICANN produces are not always verbatim, and this only becomes apparent when one replays the Adobe Connect recording. For content like video, this is not preserved anywhere else on the ICANN website to the best of my knowledge, with the exception of a few high interest sessions that make the ICANN YouTube channel. And the Adobe Connect chat box is much easier to read, time stamped and in context, through the Adobe Connect player than it is as a text file.

Do we have a way to be able to either 1) convert these Adobe Connect files to be viewable in another player (I think it is not possible, and I have been googling this today), or 2) to maintain a limited 'view only' Adobe Connect platform so that these recordings remain accessible?

I also wonder what consultation was undertaken with the community before this decision to migrate to a new tool that we all use was made. I am concerned that many decisions which impact the community are being made in a top-down manner by ICANN org without adequate community consultation.

I also wonder about the cost of migration and training. I do not think ICANN org measures the number of volunteer hours that are donated to it every year, but say, conservatively, there are 2,000 volunteers who need to spend 30 minutes downloading and learning Xoom, and perhaps more who need to ask a system administrator to install the program for them because of network settings. Does the cost to the community here exceed the small cost saving that the migration will achieve?

Finally, I have had flashbacks to when Adobe Connect was unavailable last year, and I remember some meetings had issues with Xoom. For instance, one call organized by the BC and IPC to do with GDPR compliance had issues because more than 100 participants dialed in, and ICANN's license only allowed for 100 people to be in the room. I hope this issue has been addressed. I also found Xoom's interface to be not as good at allowing for real-time chat, document sharing, and seeing hands raised in a room.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline