[council] FW: Draft GNSO Council Response to ICANN on PPSAI Implementation and IRTP

Pam Little pam.little at alibaba-inc.com
Thu Apr 18 01:22:41 UTC 2019

Dear Flip,

Thank you for taking time to review the draft and for the suggested edits from the IPC.

However, I do not agree with some of the proposed-edits and offer my reasoning below:

"We also note that in the 14 March 2019 GAC Communique, the GAC advised that ICANN should “[c]onsider re-starting implementation processes for relevant existing policies, such as the Privacy Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Policy”.   The GAC further noted that “[t]he implementation of the PPSAI need not be deferred until the completion of the EPDP.” "
Our current practice is to send a GNSO Council Review of the GAC Communique to the ICANN Board after each ICANN meeting. Therefore, I think IPC's views on this issue should be channelled through the Council Review, instead of this letter which is a response to the GDD. I will send a separate email to the small drafting team and copy you and Paul shortly.

  "Some Councilors also noted the negative impact on ICANN’s reputation and credibility if ICANN is not seen as expeditiously implementing approved multi-stakeholder policies."

The GDPR has created complexities and uncertainties which in turn impacted many existing ICANN policies. Thus, a pause or delays of policy implementation may well be not only justified but also necessary. For example, the implementation of Thick WHOIS Transition Policy has been delayed multiple times, see the latest https://www.icann.org/resources/board-material/resolutions-2019-03-14-en#1.c. Furthermore,  the EPDP Team recommended "updates" to a number of existing policies:

EPDP Team Recommendation #27.
The EPDP Team recommends that as part of the implementation of these policy recommendations, updates are made to the following existing policies / procedures, and any others that may have been omitted, to ensure consistency with these policy recommendations as, for example, a number of these refer to administrative and/or technical contact which will no longer be required data elements:
• Registry Registration Data Directory Services Consistent Labeling and Display Policy
• Thick WHOIS Transition Policy for .COM, .NET, .JOBS
• Rules for Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy
• WHOIS Data Reminder Policy
• Transfer Policy
• Uniform Rapid Suspension System (URS) Rules
• Transfer Dispute Resolution Policy

I believe PPSAI is one such policy that may have been omitted and will require updates.

Kind regards,

Pam