[council] PDP 3.0 Package 1: Final Documents for Improvements 1, 2, 3 & 6
ariel.liang at icann.org
Tue Aug 13 23:30:44 UTC 2019
Dear GNSO Councilors,
On behalf of the PDP 3.0 Small Team, staff would like to inform you that the Small Team has completed five (5) out of fourteen (14) PDP 3.0 improvements so far. The rest of the nine (9) improvements are all in the pipeline with various levels of progress.
In advance of the 22 August Council meeting, the PDP 3.0 Small Team are sending the following documents for four (4) completed PDP 3.0 improvements as the first deliverable to the GNSO Council for review. They are packaged together as they are concerned with the expectations, requirements, and/or participation methods for PDP working groups members and/or leaders.
Note that Improvement #14 (Criteria to Evaluate Request for Data Gathering) has also been completed, but it will be delivered in a separate package together with other completed, related improvements prior to future GNSO Council meetings.
* Improvement #1: Terms of participation for working group members<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bs_bQwITOJvDIWgaj0FV2A_bbX02EptU/edit>
* Improvement #2: Consider alternatives to open working group model<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1N-U9dvu_IBkW1FvpGY_aGr0uW6VZTW9Y/edit>
* Improvement #3: Criteria for joining of new members after a PDP working group is formed or re-chartered
* Main document<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qp7rv4wB8TNzkPdi5yuKlpfIjgt81ClOZsq4EcA5QEg/edit>
* Working Group Member Skills Guide<https://docs.google.com/document/d/14uAsBg0_BnhJ6nqjitsHutm1AcFKhRsa4VAsR-WtMKI/edit>
* Improvement #6: Document expectations for working group leaders (Chairs/Co- Chairs/Leads) that outlines role & responsibilities as well as minimum skills / expertise required<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DxRS7jYHh1i5USyrr0wP6dpJhQjRqrMnnT_xWuzhSqU/edit>
The Small Team invites the GNSO Council to review these documents and welcomes your questions and feedback. The Small Team looks forward to further discussions with the GNSO Council during the meeting on 22 August.
The GNSO Council identified a number of challenges as well as possible improvements related to the Policy Development Process (PDP), as a result of a number of discussions throughout 2018. These efforts started in the form of a staff discussion paper<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WbL79RXpkisfAnKOtxpuy_sf466_3XIT/view>, shared on 10 January 2018 and discussed at the GNSO Council’s 2018 Strategic Planning Session.
In order to engage the broader GNSO community in this discussion, the GNSO Council organized a collaborative session<https://61.schedule.icann.org/meetings/647692> involving the members of the PDP Leadership Teams as well as the broader community to summarize key points from the Strategic Planning Session, elaborate on the challenges that PDPs presently face and identified, and begin to brainstorm possible solutions.
On 11 May 2018, an updated paper<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/pdp-discussion-paper-11may18-en.pdf> was prepared, taking into account feedback received. The GNSO Council solicited additional feedback from the GNSO Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies, summarizing input received<https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/pdp-summary-feedback-10sep18-en.pdf>. An updated report<https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/pdp-increase-effectiveness-efficiency-23oct18-en.pdf> was prepared as well as an Implementation Plan<https://gnso.icann.org/en/drafts/pdp-implementation-plan-10dec18-en.pdf>. On 24 October 2018, the Council resolved<https://gnso.icann.org/en/council/resolutions#201810> to adopt the Final Report and begin implementation, as well as report on progress no less than on a quarterly basis.
At the 2019 GNSO Council Strategic Planning Session, the Council discussed early drafts for select implementation areas, ultimately agreeing that a small team of Councilors be convened to support implementation efforts. That small team of Councilors first convened at ICANN64 in Kobe, Japan and met on a bi-weekly basis between April and June 2019.
During its informal status meeting at ICANN65 in Marrakech, Morocco, the small team decided to make a few enhancements on its working methods in order to meet its goal of completing implementation of all fourteen (14) PDP 3.0 improvements by ICANN66 Montreal, Canada. These enhancements include:
* Increase its meeting frequency to weekly basis;
* Designate small team lead who works with GNSO support staff to tackle each improvement;
* Track completion status and set target dates for final call and document finalization;
* Use google docs for all improvement documents to facilitate collaboration.
In addition, the small team has also decided to deliver the final documents of completed improvements in an incremental manner -- selected few improvements, which often have a common theme or relate to each other, are delivered to the GNSO Council in one package. With fewer documents to review each time, the GNSO Council should be able to digest the documents more easily and provide timely input to help the small team improve its future deliverables to the Council.
Ariel Xinyue Liang
GNSO Policy Support Specialist
Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Mobile: +1 310 804 2761
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the council