[council] Fwd: Resignation from EPDP

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Fri Feb 22 05:24:34 UTC 2019

Sincere thanks to Kurt here for chairing Phase 1 of the EPDP. This was not a small commitment -- he chaired 46 plenary calls, countless small group calls, and from what I understand, weekly calls with the leadership team and staff too. Add to that the mailing list, reviewing documents, and all of the off-list conversations he inevitably had to partake in, and this was very much a full-time role.

People on the EPDP team are burned out, not least by yesterday's deferral (which has been extremely demotivating and caused considerable distress), but by other factors too. Lest we lose further members of the EPDP team - which is very possible - I think it is important we give the EPDP team a break before Phase 2 discussions and work planning begins. And I would like to see the motion for the 4 March meeting reflect this.

I agree with Darcy that there should be a 'post mortem', so to speak, on Phase 1 in order to understand what worked and what did not work. Kurt will be instrumental there in helping us understand what he felt worked, and if he is available in Kobe, I hope we can add that to our agenda. But in addition to this,I would also like to see us complete a survey of the entire EPDP membership in order to understand what they thought too.

Best wishes,

Ayden Férdeline