[council] REMINDER / Call for volunteers IRP-IOT and proposed Council endorsement process

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Jul 9 16:18:15 UTC 2019

**REMINDER: DUE 12 JULY 2019

Dear Council Members, SG/C Chairs,

As you may be aware, the ICANN Board Accountability Mechanisms Committee (BAMC) recently launched a call for volunteers to recompose the Independent Review Process (IRP) Implementation Oversight Team (IOT) (see https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/sanchez-to-siddiqui-et-al-26jun19-en.pdf [icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_correspondence_sanchez-2Dto-2Dsiddiqui-2Det-2Dal-2D26jun19-2Den.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=nB8wjB51BCGkGoYf3d1QMu8BvYola3KUSkUARFf64_Q&s=O4k5PeksbH8PKBf9gPIeTNc6uFW4qxu6BXOVz-IIlyM&e=>). The letter also notes that ‘if any SO/AC wishes to vet candidates through its own candidate selection process, the BAMC welcomes that work, diligence, and indication of support when passing the candidate further into the process’.

As during recent discussions, Council members as well as GNSO community members have highlighted the importance of this process and the need for the GNSO to contribute candidates with expertise to this process, Council leadership would like to propose the following steps:

  1.  Any candidates interested in GNSO Council endorsement should send their Expressions of Interest describing how his or her experience aligns with the skills identified, as well as a commitment to the estimated time demands to gnso-secs at icann.org<mailto:gnso-secs at icann.org> by Friday 12 July 2019.
  2.  Council leadership will evaluate the applications against the skills and experience outlined in the call for volunteers (see also below).
  3.  Council leadership will share with the Council the proposed candidates for GNSO Council endorsement by 17 July 2019 at the latest.
  4.  Council to consider proposed candidates for endorsement during 18 July 2019 GNSO Council meeting.
  5.  GNSO Secretariat to submit EOIs of endorsed candidates by 31 July 2019 at the latest.
  6.  All the EOIs of the candidates that meet the qualifications will be provided to the BAMC for evaluation and identification of new members.

If you have any questions or concerns about this proposed process, please let us know as soon as possible. We appreciate that the timeline is short, but we hope this will not prevent you from encouraging members who have the required skills and experience from applying. To be clear, nothing prevents those not seeking GNSO Council endorsement from submitting their applications directly to the BAMC.

With best regards,

Pam Little and Rafik Dammak, Vice Chairs, GNSO Council

On behalf of GNSO Council Leadership

From https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/correspondence/sanchez-to-siddiqui-et-al-26jun19-en.pdf [icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_correspondence_sanchez-2Dto-2Dsiddiqui-2Det-2Dal-2D26jun19-2Den.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=nB8wjB51BCGkGoYf3d1QMu8BvYola3KUSkUARFf64_Q&s=O4k5PeksbH8PKBf9gPIeTNc6uFW4qxu6BXOVz-IIlyM&e=>

Skills and Experience Required

The IOT has very important work remaining, including the finalization of a set of Updated Supplementary Procedures that will define the conduct of IRPs and assure that the purposes of the IRP are upheld. These Procedures must also align with principles of international arbitration. As a result, those members of our community that you identify and encourage to join the IOT, should have the necessary legal or judicial skills and experience in disputes such as IRPs, arbitrations, or other alternate dispute resolution processes. Specific familiarity with ICANN’s accountability mechanisms is another important skill that we hope to see amongst new members. No single candidate must bring all of this experience, but as we look at the IOT as a whole, we are striving for a variety of experiences that, taken together, make the IOT well-suited to finalize a set of procedures to conduct IRP proceedings. IOT members must also have the time and availability to attend at least a one hour call each week to participate on IOT telephonic meetings, as well as sufficient availability to contribute to the work online.

Marika Konings
Vice President, Policy Development Support – GNSO, Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN)
Email: marika.konings at icann.org<mailto:marika.konings at icann.org>

Follow the GNSO via Twitter @ICANN_GNSO
Find out more about the GNSO by taking our interactive courses<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__learn.icann.org_courses_gnso&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=5DXgId95wrCsHi--pxTiJD7bMB9r-T5ytCn7od3CF2Q&s=Cg5uQf0yAfw-qlFZ0WNBfsLmmtBNUiH0SuI6Vg-gXBQ&e=> and visiting the GNSO Newcomer pages<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_sites_gnso.icann.org_files_gnso_presentations_policy-2Defforts.htm-23newcomers&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=7_PQAir-9nJQ2uB2cWiTDDDo5Hfy5HL9rSTe65iXLVM&m=5DXgId95wrCsHi--pxTiJD7bMB9r-T5ytCn7od3CF2Q&s=tT-E2RoAucUb3pfL9zmlbRdq1sytaEf765KOEkBVCjk&e=>.