[council] FW: Harmonization of String Similarity in gTLDs and ccTLDs

Mary Wong mary.wong at icann.org
Tue Jul 16 23:47:01 UTC 2019

Dear Keith and everyone,

Apropos of the specific point made by Jeff that “CCWG’s are not the place where policy is developed both with respect to the GNSO as well as the ccNSO.  If there are policies developed through a CCWG, they would just have to be referred to both the GNSO Council to commence a PDP as well as the ccNSO Council for their own policy development process”, staff thought it may be helpful (especially for newer members of the Council and community) to mention that in 2016 the ccNSO and GNSO Councils formally approved a Uniform Framework of Principles for Cross-Community Working Groups. The Framework specifically notes that a CCWG “is not the proper vehicle for formal policy development where such authority has been granted under the ICANN Bylaws to a specific Supporting Organization”, among other guidance relating to initiation and scoping etc.

You can find the final set of principles here: https://gnso.icann.org/sites/default/files/file/field-file-attach/2016-12/uniform-framework-principles-recommendations-16sep16-en.pdf. There is also a process flow diagram and user guide available here: https://gnso.icann.org/issues/ccwg/ccwg-recommendations-framework-principles-20nov17-en.pdf.

Cheers
Steve & Mary