[council] FW: ICANN org's preparation toward implementation of a new round of gTLDs

Drazek, Keith kdrazek at verisign.com
Mon Jun 17 18:53:45 UTC 2019

FYI

From: Cyrus Namazi <cyrus.namazi at icann.org>
Sent: Monday, June 17, 2019 1:29 PM
To: Drazek, Keith <kdrazek at verisign.com>
Cc: Marika Konings <marika.konings at icann.org>; David Olive
<david.olive at icann.org>; Trang Nguyen <trang.nguyen at icann.org>; Steve Chan
<steve.chan at icann.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] ICANN org's preparation toward implementation of a new
round of gTLDs

Dear Keith;

As you likely recall, in December 2015 the GNSO initiated a Policy Development
Process (PDP) to determine if changes to existing policy recommendations are
needed before the next round of gTLDs. We understand that the PDP Working
Group expects to publish its final report with its recommendations by December
2019. These recommendations may lead to procedural changes for subsequent
rounds of gTLD applications, which ICANN org must implement and manage.

In the course of our preparatory work toward the planning and implementation
of the new policy, ICANN org has compiled a number of fundamental
operationally focused assumptions to help with the preliminary planning and
operational readiness of the organization. I have shared these assumptions
with the ICANN Board, and am now sharing them with all ICANN constituencies in
the briefing document attached. We plan to meet face-to-face with the
Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group in Marrakech to further discuss these
assumptions.

If the GNSO Council members are also interested in further engagement and
providing feedback and perspective on these assumptions please let me know and
we will be happy to arrange a mutually convenient time for a discussion.

For your information, this information will also be included in the ICANN
Community Digest which is planned to be issued later this week.

Sincerely,

Cyrus Namazi

Senior Vice President | Global Domains Division

801 17th St NW, Suite 400 | Washington, DC 20006 USA

Office +1 202 249 7543 | Mobile +1 408 421 6894

Skype : cnamazi

www.icann.org <http://www.icann.org>