[council] Updated/Extended EPDP Chair EOI

Darcy Southwell darcy.southwell at endurance.com
Mon Mar 25 18:48:09 UTC 2019

Thanks, Keith.  Agree a two week extension is reasonable given the
circumstances.  I hope providing additional details about the anticipated
workload, pace, and intensity for phase 2 increases the pool of viable
candidates.

But for the sake of argument, what if it does not?  I think we need to
start thinking that through now and not wait until our 18 April meeting to
start considering our options.  A few thoughts I have:

   - We can extend the application deadline one more time if necessary;
   although doing so is likely only productive if there is a serious outreach
   campaign to locate additional qualified applicants.
   - What if the chair was a paid position?  I know this wasn't a popular
   idea during our Kobe meeting, and I can understand why.  But maybe we need
   to rethink that and explore budget options with ICANN.
   - Re-evaluate the charter for leadership make up/selection.
      - What if we select 2 co-chairs, one from each house?
      - If Council selects the chair through the established process, maybe
      each house selects a vice chair.  With 2 vice chairs, the chair will have
      more support.

Ideas from others?

Thanks,
Darcy