[council] [Ext] Re: Action Item: Draft Response to Questions on the Independent Review Process Oversight Team (IRP-IOT)

Flip Petillion fpetillion at petillion.law
Mon Oct 7 15:25:05 UTC 2019

Hi Keith,
All,

I still don’t read any substantiation in support of the allegations. WIPO would not manage any IRPs but would merely stand ready to assist any ICANN request for information on ADR generally and/or potential expert/arbitrator selection processes.

Moreover, you may recall that IP is embedded in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) and the United Nations Declaration for the Right of Indigenous People (UNDRIP). I believe it makes sense to have a diverse list of dispute resolution providers and to avoid any type of bias by making a narrow selection before even starting the process.

As to WIPO, it is “the global forum for IP services, policy, information and cooperation [whose] mission is to lead the development of a balanced and effective international IP system that enables innovation and creativity for the benefit of all.”

In my opinion, the list should include ICC, ICDR and WIPO as current and past service providers of ICANN, and leave the option open to consult other institutions.

I await the doodle invite.

Best regards,

Flip

Flip Petillion