[council] Meeting with the board in Montreal

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Thu Oct 10 13:57:21 UTC 2019

Dear all,

A reminder that the deadline to send questions/ topics of discussion to the Board for joint sessions at ICANN66 is Monday 14 October 2019.

Thank you,

Nathalie

From: council <council-bounces at gnso.icann.org> on behalf of "rafik.dammak at gmail.com" <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1:36 AM
To: "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>
Subject: [council] Meeting with the board in Montreal

hi all,

I would like to highlight here the note about the board engagement with community in Montreal Meeting. Board proposing some changes by focusing on 1 topic we can propose for discussion. I would like that we start thinking about we should engage the board on.

Best,

Rafik

DEADLINE IN ONE WEEK: Preparations for ICANN66 Constituency Day
From: Cherine Chalaby, ICANN Board Chair

FOR: All Community Leaders

ACTION ITEM
Dear Constituency and Stakeholder Group Chairs,

Please reply no later than Monday, 14 October 2019

The Board and I are very much looking forward to engaging with you during our 21st AGM that will take place in Montréal between 2-7 November 2019.

We wish to keep working on improving our interaction with you and, in particular, we want to address some of the requests and feedback we have received and introduce some more flexibility in the format of our valuable face-to-face meetings.

Starting in Montréal, instead of sending up to three questions to the Board, we would like to offer you the alternative option of choosing a single topic and having an open discussion with the Board on that topic.

We are also suggesting that the list of questions or topics received be shared with the entire Community using the Policy digest, in order to increase transparency and allow the groups to improve their own understanding of their peers’ point of views on different issues.

As for time allocation, we propose to allocate half of our time together to answer your questions or discuss your single topic and the other half to address the Board’s topic.

In preparation for our meetings, the Board chose the following topic to have an open discussion with you:

“Community, Board and ICANN org readiness to implement the following three critical plans that will shape ICANN’s future: (1) Strategic Plan FY 21-25, (2) Operating & Financial Plan FY 21-25, and (3) Work Plan to improve the effectiveness of ICANN’s multistakeholder model.”

The Strategic Plan [r20.rs6.net]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__r20.rs6.net_tn.jsp-3Ff-3D001e2bzC2yluvJVWhOiME8XRd8pKQDtEr7wg4FLUcdO0LoJGhordk-5FXptPBl0SJAIM-2DQM53N4Vc-5FejYPYR7f1QsrmZd9pL-5FgtfA4ce9v2lUYtDye2zBddED-2DLWVYdaIDkNokrQd0d-2DasJecqHU4-5FQazQZPfkQ5904y6ZDw2Zpyytib7qmM-2DZOl06urXYaMuJmlqX7TGhX00zajvzQILgmwsJgz8oJgi-5FJwUd213V4fTEcs-3D-26c-3DqU-5F4ymCfdj5hqwSv4rCMEiePySBPd-2DcrBFFPm703iNm-5F6EYCWJ4sRw-3D-3D-26ch-3DepPAi0YDB-5F8rdfmzJ-5Fx8wFySh2mE6tsvqz-2DPrGlMaBYWRgbIFtpDpQ-3D-3D&d=DwMFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Mqh1aGGBHvaIWkuAPxJW84I8HuCFrS06vjX0fAIV-ho&s=5pFV89LoiRaecHio1d9Iw5QADkCycP8YjeV31lUitgQ&e=> has been adopted by the Board last June at ICANN65 in Marrakech. The two other plans will be completed and posted for public comment in December 2019.

At ICANN64 in Kobe, the Board asked each constituency to provide three suggestions, one for the Board, one for ICANN org and one for the Community of things/aspects that should be done/improved in order to implement these plans successfully, starting 1 July 2020, as mandated by our Bylaws. In addition, the Board asked for one suggestion of something that could be done externally to improve trust and with our partners and alliances (eg. IETF) so that they collaborate effectively with ICANN on some of our strategic objectives (eg. DNS security).

Based on the input received in Kobe, we are compiling a list of suggested actions for the community, Board and ICANN org which we would like to share and discuss with you in Montreal. We will send you that list in advance of our meeting in Montréal on or before Friday, 11 October 2019.

We would be very grateful if you could send to Board Operations (board-ops-team at icann.org<mailto:board-ops-team at icann.org>) your single topic or the list of questions (max. 3), in order of priority, no later than Monday, 14 October 2019 or sooner.

For information, we are not changing the current total time allotted per group nor the room set-up.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on our suggestions and on how to improve our interaction further.

We thank you in advance for your time on this matter and we look forward to welcoming you in Canada!

Best regards,
Cherine Chalaby