[council] [Ext] INPUT REQUESTED: CSG Meeting with the board in Montreal

Nathalie Peregrine nathalie.peregrine at icann.org
Tue Oct 15 16:06:40 UTC 2019

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your email which will be sent to the Board shortly.

Kind regards,

Nathalie

From: Brian Winterfeldt <Brian at Winterfeldt.law>
Date: Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 6:03 PM
To: Nathalie Peregrine <nathalie.peregrine at icann.org>, "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>, "rafik.dammak at gmail.com" <rafik.dammak at gmail.com>
Cc: Maria Otanes <maria.otanes at icann.org>, Chantelle Doerksen <chantelle.doerksen at icann.org>, "'ipc-leadership at icann.org'" <ipc-leadership at icann.org>, "'csg-excomm at ICANN.org'" <csg-excomm at ICANN.org>
Subject: [Ext] INPUT REQUESTED: CSG Meeting with the board in Montreal

Dear Nathalie and all,
On behalf of the IPC, thank you for the opportunity to submit questions or topic for the CSG & Board session being held during ICANN 66.  We appreciate Mr. Cherine Chalaby idea in regards to presenting one topic for discussion. With that in mind, the IPC is very interested in having a conversation with the Board on the following topic: ‘When a Policy(s) and Contractual Obligation(s) have been approved by the ICANN Board, what is the formal process to place certain PDPs on hold or stop supporting the implementation of such policies? Who grants ICANN.org the ability to modify the PDP process? Specific examples include:
1) Privacy and Proxy implementation pending the implementation of the forthcoming EPDP Phase 2 recommendations [gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_sites_default_files_file_field-2Dfile-2Dattach_namazi-2Dto-2Dgnso-2Dcouncil-2D05sep19-2Den.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=wL3Zo2cS0E1587i1K6plo1c3_QE_VYKpzxK_zxU6nHchrvvSIST7VWCi3I7o_dqG&m=cgbQ0oGhOaTgp6rzpF52bX27RuLuBjnvcKNaVZuK-Nc&s=EfjVHiNNHXk-YGRGTdGVVVFKNqE-AiNqUIAvYudo0JY&e=>, but ICANN Org has not provided specific details (contractual, GDPR regulation or otherwise) as to why and how this decision occurred. We seek to better understand the mechanisms that placed this Policy implementation on hold and what mechanism and/or triggers will re-start this implementation? Please explain.
2) All Contracted Registrars are operating under the 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) currently. Within this Agreement, the Registrars are required to ‘Validate that all postal address fields are consistent across fields (for example: street exists in city, city exists in state/province, city matches postal code) where such information is technically and commercially feasible for the applicable country or territory.’ Given the fact that it is 2019, this requirement has been in place for a period of six (6) years;
2A) Why has it taken ICANN Org so long to address this contractual obligation; and
2B) What are the detailed plans and timeline to hold ICANN and the Registrars accountable given the fact that under a proposed SSAD model, one will have to become accredited to gain access to the unpublished RDS data and may be subject to fees?  The importance of accurate RDS data has never been more apparent.
Therefore, it is of the most upmost importance that once the requestor does garner access to the non-published data, the data should be accurate based on the validation criteria stated in the 2013 RAA WHOIS Accuracy Specification.  The IPC looks forward to a constructive conversation with the ICANN Board.

Best regards,

Brian

IPC President

<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.winterfeldt.law_&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=wyQKmSd2JT52N-mjD9vZM5sIPaM7LTv3ymU_i1fShBg&s=YratIK0YowjYVc4DT3UaYOJH5wdvq8V5qKWuUl_M2CM&e=>[https://daks2k3a4ib2z.cloudfront.net/59358b8cf7332631232417e8/595fb59d73c5b113a1d2a61b_WIPG_LogoMark.png]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.winterfeldt.law_&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=wyQKmSd2JT52N-mjD9vZM5sIPaM7LTv3ymU_i1fShBg&s=YratIK0YowjYVc4DT3UaYOJH5wdvq8V5qKWuUl_M2CM&e=>[winterfeldt.law]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.winterfeldt.law_&d=DwMFAw&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=PDd_FX3f4MVgkEIi9GHvVoUhbecsvLhgsyXrxgtbL10DTBs0i1jYiBM_uTSDzgqG&m=wyQKmSd2JT52N-mjD9vZM5sIPaM7LTv3ymU_i1fShBg&s=YratIK0YowjYVc4DT3UaYOJH5wdvq8V5qKWuUl_M2CM&e=>

Brian J. Winterfeldt
Principal
Winterfeldt IP Group
1200 17<x-apple-data-detectors://12/1>th<x-apple-data-detectors://12/1> St NW<x-apple-data-detectors://12/1>, Ste 501<x-apple-data-detectors://12/1>
Washington, DC  20036<x-apple-data-detectors://12/1>
brian at winterfeldt.law<mailto:brian at winterfeldt.law>
+1 202 903 4422