[council] IRP-IOT Small Team: DRAFT GNSO Input on Questions Relating to the Issues for Considerations Regarding the IRP IOT

Elsa S elsa.saade at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 00:29:23 UTC 2019

Thank you Julie for sharing the draft and for supporting our efforts in
developing it. Your moderation helped us a lot, I must say.

Generally, I just want to note to the council, a personal comment I had
discussed internally but might not have necessarily been reflected in the
text of the document:

With respect to identifying a slate of well-qualified panelists, I
personally think, as a GNSO Council, we should trust our SOs and ACs to
have that expertise instead of relying on external parties to do the job
for us, but also keep external expertise within reach. We could definitely
have institutions advise on the form and essence as well as substance when
asked, but they should not be the ones leading the process.  We had
different views as to how much the external experts are to be included in
the process (Flip and I). I think it should be optional and only when the
need arises that we have external experts engage in the process. SOs and
ACs should be more than capable of leading the efforts in reference to
certain advice that independent and neutral external orgs/institutions
would have provided in the very beginning concerning their process.

Thank you all for your attention, and I look forward to any comments.

Best,

Elsa
—

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 7:11 PM Julie Hedlund <julie.hedlund at icann.org>
wrote:

> Dear GNSO Councilors,
>

> As you may recall, Elsa Saade and Flip Petillion volunteered to be the
> small team to draft a possible GNSO Council response to the request for the
> community to respond to the questions relating to the IRP Implementation
> Oversight Team (IOT) as requested at ICANN65.  The original deadline to
> respond to ICANN Org was 15 April 2019, per the Blog Post from Göran Marby
> dated 09 March 2019: https://www.icann.org/news/blog/independent-review-process-standing-panel-call-to-action
> [icann.org]
> <https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_news_blog_independent-2Dreview-2Dprocess-2Dstanding-2Dpanel-2Dcall-2Dto-2Daction&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=adDIs0WEx_lLwFfrsdovxTYY8GkRHo5ibc8SR3Npdh8&m=ktiAwHmKA7hfUHjB7rA9oVMOqwDPHtrq4kWbcy5VkxM&s=l016TWKIgM_C82rF4B4MOYWbxALBFkuF8k03Yz1mRKQ&e=>.
> In May Samantha Eisner and David McCauley gave a presentation on the
> IRP-IOT to the GNSO Council.  At ICANN65 the Council asked for volunteers
> to draft possible GNSO Council responses, which Elsa and Flip have now done
> and it is attach for your consideration after considerable discussion and
> upon reviewing the comments provided by the GNSO Community.  We have
> confirmed with Samantha Eisner that ICANN Org is still interested in
> receiving input from the GNSO.
>

> This document is on the agenda for discussion for the GNSO Council meeting
> on Thursday, 19 September.  In the meantime, please let us know if you have
> any questions or comments.
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Julie
>
> Julie Hedlund on behalf of Elsa Saade and Flip Petillion

Elsa Saade
Consultant
Gulf Centre for Human Rights
Twitter: @Elsa_Saade