[council] EPDP seeking guidance regarding extension of timeline

Rafik Dammak rafik.dammak at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 13:26:41 UTC 2020

Hi Michele,

Thanks for the question.
to be precise, it is not a feeling shared by the entire WG, some groups
were supporting the request while others opposed it strongly. It started
with a communication from GAC chair to the EPDP team shortly before the
Thursday call (and come as surprise).  I was asked to share this to get
guidance from the council if an extension is possible. Council response
would settle that and reiterate the expectations in term of delivery and
timeline.
The extension and adjustment in the timeline (and so changes in the work
plan) need to be done but I don't have that right now.  Leadership would
need to work with Berry to build such new timeline and PCR. While I didn't
check with Janis regarding this response, I think he is not  in favor of
extension and was candid to the whole EPDP team that he has the hard stop
of 30th June.

I am copying below the request from GAC as it indicates the reason for its
demand:

*"In light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and its drastic consequences on
governments, organizations, private sector and individuals worldwide, I
would like to express our serious concerns, as GAC leaders, that
maintaining the current pace of work towards completion of Phase 2 by
mid-June could jeopardize the delivery, efficacy and legitimacy of the
EPDP’s policy recommendations.While recognizing that the GAC has
continually advised for swiftly completing policy development and
implementing agreed policy on this critical public policy matter, we
believe that given the current global health emergency, which puts many in
the EPDP and the community under unprecedented stress (for example
governments has been called to heightened duties for the continuity of
essential public services), pressing important deliberations and decisions
in such a short time frame on already strained participants would mean
unacceptably sacrificing the product for the timeline.*

*We understand there are budget and human resources considerations involved
in the completion of Phase 2 of the EPDP. However, we are all living
through a global health pandemic, so we call on the EPDP Team to seriously
reassess its course and expectations (be it on the duration of its calls,
the turn-around time of reviews, its ultimate timeline and budget)
emulating what numerous governments, global organizations, and households
are doing to adapt during these challenging times across the world."*

Best,

Rafik