[council] SCBO 1st Draft of 5YS&OP + FY21 Draft Budget

Tom Dale tomwdale at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 21:47:01 UTC 2020

Thank you Berry.

I have two issues to raise about the “General Comments” section:

First Bullet Point: I know Council used the same wording in last year’s comments<https://mm.icann.org/pipermail/comments-fy20-budget-17dec18/attachments/20190211/71fb0477/GNSOCouncil-FY20BudgetandOperatingPlanComments_1.0-0001.pdf> on the FY20 OP+Budget, but is it really appropriate to say that “It is an honor to be part of ensuring ICANN’s accountability…”? I can see input on the Budget and 5YS as a responsibility under both the EC and as part of Council’s general policy oversight role. “An honor” would seem to be a tad overdone.

Fourth Bullet Point: Council seems to have been making the same point for some years now that “it is difficult to approximate the levels of financial support  provided directly and indirectly to the various Supporting Organizations, Advisory Groups, and associated Stakeholder Groups and Constituencies.” (I doubt Council is the only one with this concern). If this doesn’t seem to be improving should there be a stronger line taken?

My apologies if I have overlooked some history or context, in which case I claim ignorance, old age or both

Cheers

Tom