[council] ICANN 67 GAC communique

Johan Helsingius julf at julf.com
Thu Mar 12 18:41:28 UTC 2020

We have a somewhat interesting situation.

The Communique (to be approved on Friday and published on Monday) will
not have any consensus advice, as the virtual meeting doesn't allow
people in Asia to participate fully, so decisions can't be considered
"consensus".

There will be a GAC Chair letter to the board, and the communique will
contain a number of "GAC strongly encourages" points.

The main points will be on the acquisition of PIR (not an issue for
GNSO), Domain Name registration Directory Service an Data Protection
(EPDP 2), basically expressing the GAC EPDP2 views directly to the
board/community, and a lot of stuff on
SubPro. Fortunately Jeff and Cheryl have been directly involved in the
discussions very intensely.

I assume that procedurally the board is not obliged to react (but they
probably will), so also not necessarily asking us for our view, but we
might want to be proactive and have a comment to the board.

	Julf