[council] GNSO Project List - 18 May 2020

policy at bacinblack.com policy at bacinblack.com
Tue May 19 20:44:14 UTC 2020

Hi All,

I received a few questions regarding changes to the 18 May version of the
project list, so I thought it best to respond to everyone.

Content wise, there were not many changes to projects since the version from
April. The most notable one relate to:

1.	EPDP-P2 - at the task level, items are marked red as there is
considerable risk that review of comments may cause delay to the delivery
the Final Report, but not yet enough to change the overall Status/Health.
2.	CCWG Auctions - approaching the final consensus call and delivery of
their final report to the Board/C.O.s is still on schedule by close of May.
3.	RPMs - public comment proceeding closed and the WG is starting
review of the submissions.
4.	SubPro - the WG is still advancing towards their public comment
release of July.

Project List Structure wise, there are several changes on the summary page
and order of projects. This version is based on discussions among the
Council leadership and staff.

*	A column to assign Projects to their respective Program as we
discussed the concept of organizing our work by Program at the SPS-2020.
*	The policy development process diagram at top now attempts to
highlight who owns/manages the project through its phases.
*	Projects rearranged to better recognize a project sponsored by span
of control (below the black line after "7 - Implementation). For example,
IRP_IOT, WS2 and GEO. The Council does not have authority to represent the
Status/Health of these. We could make the same argument that it should apply
to CCWG Auctions, but it is so close to completion, it made sense to leave
it where it is, but future similar efforts seem better served tagged as
"Other". The other consideration is how involved are GNSO Policy staff
resources on such a project and largely why it was tagged under Phase 4 all
this time.
*	The standing committees retagged from Other to Standing Committee.
*	Those projects in stages 6 & 7, the % Complete was removed. As noted
before, GNSO Policy staff do not own these projects and there's still open
questions about how best to represent the Status/Health of these. Removal of
Days, Status, Health starts to make those columns less significant and/or
bare, but the Council ultimately owns the outcome.
*	One aspect outstanding is how the Council better represent the
pipeline of work ahead. Looking at the "Council Future Work Plan" that Steve
sent last week, some of those items appear here on the project list, and
some are reflected on the Action Items list. How can we recognize this
future work without reducing the effectiveness of managing current work?

I hope you'll find this helpful and happy to answer further questions.

Thank you.

Berry Cobb

@berrycobb

GNSO Policy Consultant