[council] Motion SubPro WG Final Report

philippe.fouquart at orange.com philippe.fouquart at orange.com
Fri Feb 12 16:35:15 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the inputs. A heasdup on how we will approach this.

The leadership, the liaison and staff have worked on changes to the text given the comments made. Flip will circulate a proposed revision to the motion which we hope may accommodate a number of comments made.

Two changes don’t seem to be problematic:
a) the fact that implementation should not be made dependent on on-going/future PDPs on IDNs or abuse, which would in scope would be broader than the context of a new round
b) a reminder in the absent of consensus within the WG, the “status quo” would prevail as a default position (albeit diverging interpretations within the WG on what this is).

For the recommendations that didn’t receive consensus, Council has had some latitude in the past as to reject, approve or note them. The revised text will suggest to move away from recommending consideration of those two recommendations 35.2 and 35.4 in favour of merely noting them as having strong support but significant opposition. This and the fact that there is a status quo would seem both to do justice to the work of the WG without failing in our mission of the manager of the PDP.

Having reviewed all the options the leadership appreciates there’s a fine line here, between providing comprehensive policy guidance to the Board and still conveying the sense of where the community leans on these. It may be a matter of appreciation, so we encourage all councillors to further disseminate the revised text and share their views on this.

Thanks.

Regards,
Philippe