[council] GNSO Standing Committee for Continuous Improvement – Ideas and Possible Approach

Heather Forrest haforrestesq at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 03:22:41 UTC 2021

Many thanks, Philippe, Pam and Tatiana, for initiating this discussion
about the formation of a new standing committee.

I have some general reluctance based on the experience of the prior SCI, as
well as specific thoughts about the Action Decision Radar.

   - While the Action Decision Radar is admittedly frighteningly long, here
   are relatively few items on that list that fall squarely into the bucket of
   "improvements", as opposed to policy development. I can see only these:
      - Council to decide when to launch review of   Policy &
      Implementation recommendations review
      - Council to monitor for assignments related to the Evolution of
      Multi Stakeholder model (currently a watch-and-wait)
      - Council to monitor for ATRT3 implementation assignments; awaiting
      Board adoption of    ATRT3 recommendations (to be updated following Board
      adoption, but as yet this too is a watch-and-wait, and is related to
      another item on this list, which is planning/scoping the GNSO3 Review)
      - SSR2 Results to be reviewed
   - The first item on this list, a review of the SCI's recommendations of
   June 2015, must, in my view, be undertaken prior to any formation of a new
   Standing Committee on Improvements. This review should not be a 'kitchen
   sink' type review, but rather an identification of any SCI recommendations
   that remain unimplemented (and an analysis of why/whether timely and
   appropriate to implement now, etc) and an identification of those which
   were implemented but perhaps may not be working optimally or as expected.
   This group could also be tasked with *identifying* any other potential
   improvements. Like Wolf-Ulrich, my concern is that the rationale or
   justification for forming a new SCI-like body isn't yet made out. The
   numerous dot points on the SCCI Ideas and Possible Approach document
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HBCXMkLb7vFkWClgCpsr8WjYScz3UDh4/edit>
are
   not yet sufficiently tangible to justify forming a new group, in my opinion.
   - The Council in place at the time the SCI recommendations were approved
   in 2015 had difficulty bridging the gap between the SCI's recommendations
   and actual Council practice. Many members of the SCI had never served on
   Council and were not familiar with the workaday processes of how Council
   operates. While I am always in favour of efforts that have Councilors and
   broader GNSO community members working together, we need to ensure that we
   don't end up with a relatively inexperienced group that makes idealised
   recommendations for how Council can do its work better. I'm not suggesting
   that we do a post-mortem on the SCI 5 years after its closure, but simply
   that we as a community reflect carefully before launching any new
   initiative.
   - I prefer the idea of task forces on a particular topic to another SCI.
   This enables those with expertise on particular matters to selectively
   volunteer their time to relevant efforts, while a generally-themed SCI-like
   body may actually repel such subject matter experts. A small committee
   within the GNSO (not necessarily Council) could be set up to oversee this
   work. Unless there is a clear link to Council's remit under the Bylaws as
   manager of the PDP or to one of the narrow EC Responsibilities in which
   Council plays an administrative function, I do not see many of the tasks in
   the proposed remit of this new body as falling resolutely within Council's
   remit. I'll copy this final comment into the SCCI Ideas and Possible
   Approach document to ensure these views are captured there.

I think this is an opportunity for the Council and GNSO SG/C leaders to
work more closely together. One of the ways to make Council more efficient
and effective is to slough off those tasks which are GNSO-related but not
PDP- or EC-related to the GNSO community. The more Council takes on,
obviously the less well it can do everything it already has on its plate,
and in any event, the Bylaws do not envisage such an all-encumbered body as
the GNSO Council is becoming.

Best wishes,

Heather