[council] Agenda for GNSO and GAC session at ICANN70

Jeff Neuman jeff at jjnsolutions.com
Tue Mar 16 13:59:41 UTC 2021

All,

Just to provide some more background on the GAC/GNSO proposed agenda, I provide the following notes from both my discussions with the GAC Point of Contact as well as from the call between GAC Leadership and GNSO Leadership when deciding on the agenda for our meeting:

1.                   EPDP/ (Phase 2 and 2a) / SSAD

     *   With respect to the Phase 2A, the GAC is particularly interested in the upcoming decision that council will have to make on whether to continue (or not) with the ePDP after its update from the ePDP Leadership Team.  They understand that the ePDP Chair is supposed to make a recommendation to the Council in the near future on whether he believes that consensus is possible.  If the Chair indicates that it may not be possible to come up with consensus recommendations, the GAC is concerned that the GNSO Council will terminate the ePDP completely.

     *   It probably goes without saying that GAC is following closely the Council interactions with the Board on the SSAD.  GAC would like to know our view (to the extent there is a collective view) on the ICANN Board’s responses to the Council’s questions specifically with respect to a cost/benefit analysis and financial sustainability of the SSAD.

2.                  Accuracy Scoping Team

     *   GAC understands that we are still in the early days of trying to figure out what, if anything, the Council will do with respect to the issue of Registration Data accuracy.

     *   They are aware of the letter we received from Theresa Swinehart and that we will be discussing this letter at our meeting at ICANN70.

     *   Given the fact that we are in our early days of discussing this issue, there may not be much to say, but the GAC will likely stress the importance of this work for them in helping to mitigate DNS Abuse.

3.                  DNS Abuse

     *   The GAC is supporting two ICANN70 sessions on DNS abuse, one related to SSR2 and community progress on the topic.

     *   This topic for the GAC/GNSO meeting is more about process, i.e., a framework for how to address in scope DNS abuse (e.g., cross community WG, PDP, other), not the actual substance or solutions.

     *   GAC understands that it has a right to request an issues report for a PDP, and may want to discuss that with us.  They do understand as well that the request for an issues report does not “initiate the PDP” and that any decision to initiate a PDP rests solely within the Council (unless they can convince the ICANN Board to initiate the PDP)

     *   GAC will likely bring up the fact that DNS Abuse was mentioned in CCT-RT and that topic is being discussed by the PSWG.  They are still of the opinion that DNS Abuse must be addressed before the ICANN Board proceeds with SubPro.  However, some members of the GAC had concerns about the GNSO Council’s resolution on SubPro which stated that:

“Recognizing that nearly a decade has passed since the opening of the 2012 round of new gTLDs, the GNSO Council requests that the ICANN Board consider and direct the implementation of the Outputs adopted by the GNSO Council without waiting for any other proposed or ongoing policy work unspecific to New gTLD Subsequent Procedures to conclude, while acknowledging the importance of such work”

     *   GAC is concerned that this was the GNSO’s way of rejecting GAC Advice that called for DNS Abuse to be addressed prior to implementation.

     *   One area potentially worth exploring is what will satisfy the GAC’s advice that DNS Abuse is being addressed in order for the GAC to be comfortable proceeding with new gTLDs.

4.                  Next Steps on SubPro

     *   GAC understands that the Council will be sending the SubPro Recommendations to the Board and that their future interaction on this subject will likely be with the ICANN Board.

     *   However, they also understand that there will likely be an ODP and of course an IRT and want to be heavily involved.

I hope these notes help you all prepare for your discussion at ICANN70.  If you have any questions for me, or any questions I can send over to the GAC to help us prepare, please let me know.

Sincerely,

Jeff Neuman
GNSO Liaison to the GAC

[cid:image001.png at 01D71A48.3B91D720]