[council] Accuracy scoping team - proposed next steps

Kurt Pritz kurt at kjpritz.com
Fri May 7 02:44:31 UTC 2021

Hi Philippe:

Thank you for providing the draft set of proposed next steps for dealing with the topic of registration data accuracy. We (RYSG Council representatives) have read the proposal and associated documentation and consulted with our stakeholder group members and leadership.

First, we wish you to confirm that the Proposed Path Forward is intended to be the “framework” described and recommended in the recent ICANN briefing (i.e., “develop a framework for a study on how to measure accuracy”). After reading the documents furnished, that was the conclusion to which we came.

Keeping with the ICANN briefing recommendation to “commission a study on how accuracy of registration data might be measured,” we believe the Proposed Path Forward is too vague to be released as is. I.e., the proposal provides inadequate direction to the working group (which is likely to cause confusion and be perceived as disrespectful of volunteers’ time). Put another way, the proposal initiates the study but does not describe the scope of the work to be done.

For example, the proposal calls for the scoping team to focus on, “identifying what problems, if any, are expected to be addressed and how,” but nowhere describes to what the problems should pertain other than “accuracy,” with no other detail or direction.

Instead, the objective and terms of reference should be clearly delineated. Recognizing our commitment to fact-based policy development, the proposal should make clear that we are seeking to formulate an approach to data registration accuracy measurement first – and that any policy discussion will follow (because policy should be informed by data and facts derived from competently done studies). The “problems” identified should be those specifically related to how accuracy of registration data might be measured.

In addition, we think it necessary to expressly include registration data accuracy definitions in the scoping team’s remit. How can one design an approach to registration data accuracy measurement without defining that which is to be measured?

The proposal refers extensively to GDPR and NIS2. Most of these could be omitted. The proposal seeks to assess how best to measure accuracy, which we think is an objective matter, and not seek to interpret and implement statutory requirements, which is a policy discussion that should occur when the factual assessments are complete. (We do note the proposal’s brief inference that the GDPR Accuracy Principle is essentially satisfied by the current actions of the contracted parties.)

Regarding timing, the call for volunteers should be published after the close of work on the EPDP for Registration Data. This scoping effort will require the expertise of EPDP participants because it is likely that one of the problems to be addressed is how or whether personal data can be processed to accomplish a registration data accuracy assessment. In addition, the topic of registration data accuracy continues to be raised in the EPDP discussions and that should be exhausted before going on to a subsequent effort on the same topic.

We also believe the composition or casting of the working group should be more carefully considered. The specification of “two from each” stakeholder group seems arbitrary and merits additional discussion.

To correct these concerns, we propose to have a substantive discussion at the Council level, and then create a small team of Council members (or form a “working-group-of-the-whole”) to redraft the proposed framework, an effort we will gladly support.

Sincerely,

Maxim Alzoba
Sebastien Ducos
Kurt Pritz