[council] [gnso-secs] Draft minutes of the GNSO Council meeting 27 October 2021 Part 1 and 2

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Fri Nov 5 19:58:47 UTC 2021

Hello Kurt,

We acknowledge receipt and have noted this change to the minutes.

Have a wonderful weekend!
Best,

Julie

From: Gnso-secs <gnso-secs-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of Kurt Pritz via Gnso-secs <gnso-secs at icann.org>
Date: Friday, November 5, 2021 at 2:39 PM
To: Terri Agnew <terri.agnew at icann.org>
Cc: "gnso-secs at icann.org" <gnso-secs at icann.org>, "council at gnso.icann.org" <council at gnso.icann.org>
Subject: Re: [gnso-secs] [council] Draft minutes of the GNSO Council meeting 27 October 2021 Part 1 and 2

Hi Terri (and everyone):

I wish to offer an amendment to the minutes with regard to the statement I made on behalf of the RySG during the discussion of the EPDP Phase 2A motion. I suggest the amendment for a couple reasons:

  1.  The original minutes did not capture the point that the RySG accepted the “in-scope” determination
  2.  The original minutes captured only a portion of the arguments made (both in number and completeness). To lay them out fully would make the minutes too long, so instead, I stated that the RySG made a series of arguments and why.

Copying the Council for transparency (of course) but also as a check to make sure this was what you heard, as my intent and statements always don’t match.

For ease of review, I have the original and suggested minutes below.

Best regards,

Kurt - RySG

ORIGINAL
Kurt Pritz, GNSO Registry Stakeholder Group (RySG), commented on the issue of scope in regards to recommendation (Rec) 1. He explained that the understanding that the RySG should have escalated concerns formally could have happened had there been disagreement with the EPDP P2A Chair. However, given the Chair transferred the final decision on scope to the Council, there was no immediate need for the RySG to pursue a formal escalation. It was also mentioned that once the scope issue was raised within the EPDP P2A, the GNSO Council Liaison was expected to communicate this to the GNSO Council. On a substantive level, he added that rather than a decision by Council leadership, the RySG had expected the opportunity to further discuss the issue especially within the Council’s role as policy manager.

REVISED
Kurt Pritz, GNSO Registry Stakeholder Group (RySG), commented on the issue of scope in regard to Recommendation 1. He stated that the RySG, having raised the scope issue, accepted the Leadership determination that Recommendation 1 was within the EPDP Charter’s scope and was prepared to vote. He went on to state that the RySG did not find the points made in support of the determination in the Chair’s email to be persuasive and laid out the arguments to contest each point. He indicated that the more important point is that requests by any stakeholder group for a Council determination on an issue should be honored by having a Council discussion rather than an immediate determination and that such a discussion fits within the Council’s role as policy manager.