[council] Comments re: GNSO Update on the Framework for the Policy Status Report on the UDRP

John McElwaine john.mcelwaine at nelsonmullins.com
Wed Sep 29 17:10:56 UTC 2021

I appreciate the additional time to provide comments on the Framework for the Policy Status Report on the UDRP, which is an issue that the Intellectual Property Constituency place high importance upon and has been discussing.

At a high-level, the focus of the framework for the UDRP Policy Status Report (PSR) appears out of synch with the finding of the October 3, 2011 Final Report, which was largely an endorsement of the UDRP and in line with a dedicated webinar on May 10, 2011 and a questionnaire sent to approved UDRP providers.  In each of the UDRP goal areas (efficiency, fairness, addressing abuse, etc.) quotes and perspectives (including from providers, registrars, panelists, complainant and respondent counsel, etc.) support the position that “the Internet community has come to rely on the transparency, predictability, and consistency associated with the UDRP.”  Various viewpoints to the contrary are also referenced, but they are correctly characterized as coming from “a minority of commentators”.

In contrast, the framework for the PSR appears to focus on only very specific fairness issues taken from that minority of commentators, namely “forum shopping”, “process for selection of panelists”, and “analysis of abuse filings”.  The Status Report appears to presume problems and then suggest a study and correction.

The framework PSR also steps back from conclusions made in the Final Report.  For example, the Final Report concludes that “[t]he UDRP is widely recognized as effective because it is much faster than traditional litigation” (citing public comments made by D. Taylor, J. Berryhill, and P. Corwin).  In contrast, the framework PSR essentially pushes the reset button, merely flagging “Analysis of case duration [and fees] for the UDRP vs. traditional litigation”, as something the community will need to look at.  The framework PSR also appears to be missing counterbalancing proposals from the community for improvements to the UDRP, as set out in the Final Report:

o             “The UDRP is inefficient because complainants have no means of identifying all of the domain names owned by a single respondent, which leads to the need to file additional complaints and incur additional expenses.”
o             “Difficulties of identifying the proper respondent often leads to unnecessary costs to both providers and complainants.”
o             “UDRP proceedings cost brand owners millions of dollars a year and they cost the cybersquatter almost nothing.”
o             “Conjunctive bad faith requirements allow gaming”.
o             “Allowing the respondent to control the jurisdiction of any appeals increases costs to rights holders.”

Furthermore, our specific comments on framework PSR slides are as follows:

SLIDE 6:
It is important to note that nowhere in the 2011 Final Issues report is there a statement that assessing the effectiveness of the UDRP requires an analysis of (1) Efficiency, (ii) Fairness, (iii) Addressing Abuse.  This “Purpose” needs to be entirely re-drafted as it is inaccurate.  In fact, the “fairness” analysis of the Final Issues Report is only anecdotal “perspectives” from individuals on whether the UDRP was fair with most individuals asserting that it was fair.  To the extent that this is an exercise to be conducted, it would be a task for the Review itself and not the PSR.

Further, the original proposal for the PSR identifies the single purpose of this exercise as follows: “To ensure that the rechartering process focuses on specific issues and topics that could benefit from a comprehensive policy review, resulting in a clearly scoped and precise Charter”, and goes on to propose certain tasks that the PSR should undertake in order to do so, namely  “(1) identify the major substantive and procedural issues that have been reported to ICANN org and the respective UDRP providers regarding use of the UDRP; (2) include recent, relevant and available data that can assist with an effective assessment of the UDRP; and (3) highlight any changes and trends that have been observed since the GNSO’s 2011 Issue Report on the State of the UDRP.”  The framework PSR slides improperly conflate proposed tasks with the PSR’s purpose and seem to miss the point that the role of this exercise is identify new information since the 2011 Final Issue Report that should help inform the work of the PDP.

SLIDE 8:
The first bullet point of Slide 8 states that it will look at “[an] overview of whether the UDRP is impartial or fair for trademark holders and domain name registrant”.  While a worthy concept, this statement is so broad as to be meaningless to the community is evaluating the intended work of the PSR.

The second bullet point purports to analyze “forum shopping”, which is a term that appears once in Final Report as a minority comment.  The IPC would like to know why this one issue been singled out for analysis in the framework PSR.  Moreover, there is no evidence that “forum shopping” is a concern of the community.  Instead, drawing on experience from Phase 1 of the RPM Review, the individual rules and policies of providers should be examined, but not through the lens of purported “forum shopping”.

Similarly, with respect to the fourth bullet point, there is no explanation of why the PSR would also need to look at “reverse domain name highjacking cases”.

SLIDE 9:
The IPC agrees with the BC and a reference to abuse is likely to be conflated with ongoing community work on abuse that is unrelated to the UDRP (i.e., scams, child pornography, prescription drugs, etc.)
The analysis of abuse in Slide 9 should also look at the costs to brand-owners.

It is unclear to the IPC what the relevance of education for domain name registrants is in this context, but to the extent that there is a relevance why is this seemingly limited to considering a single project?

SLIDE 11:
Slide 11 set forth the datasets that are available.  However, it does not explain whether this is the only data or types of data that ICANN Staff will be able to access.

SLIDE 14:
Slide 14 sets forth an initial proposed timeline.  Allowing a mere 2 weeks for data gathering and report updating seems unduly rushed and unlikely to allow for a comprehensive exercise.  Furthermore, the proposal to share a draft report with Council the week before ICANN 72 and to expect any input from Council the week after that meeting is unlikely to allow sufficient time for Councilors and their constituents to provide substantive feedback.  We would also question why there is no public comment process envisaged.  Staff Reports and Issues Reports as part of the pre-PDP process all are subject to public comment periods, why is this not?

In summary, the IPC believes that the authors of the framework PSR should not start from scratch, and instead should build from a thorough review of the Public Comment Forum on the Preliminary Issues Report, the UDRP Webinar, the UDRP Provider Questionnaires, the 2015 RPM Staff Paper, and the Issue Report documents from 2015/16 which heralded this RPMs PDP.  The authors should then sit down with representatives from the providers and a small team of interested GNSO councilors to develop an outline for the PSR that accurately, and in a balanced manner, provides a roadmap to update to the 2011 Final Report’s conclusions avoiding the pitfalls learned from Phase 1 of the RPM review.

Kind regards,

John