[council] Draft letter to the Board on closed generics dialogue

philippe.fouquart at orange.com philippe.fouquart at orange.com
Fri Apr 22 18:56:57 UTC 2022

Kurt, Justine, Jeff, thanks for the inputs.

On 1) and reference to the NCSG’s letter: The reference is on record with the minutes, and can also be found in the Council list archive, I don’t think there’s any risk this goes unnoticed, I’d suggest we simply say While the Council is willing to pursue these next steps, it is important to note that Non-Commercial Stakeholders Group expressed its opposition to the approach.

Manju (since it is you who spoke on this during our call): would you be fine with this?

On 2) and modalities, I’d suggest we go for Jeff’s edits and simply say in the second paragraph:
The Council is appreciative of the ICANN Board’s attention to GNSO related matters and is willing to pursue next steps for the facilitated dialogue, subject to mutual agreement with the GAC on the conditions for that dialogue.

Ironically, in French, the equivalent of ‘modalities’ has a sense of a series of menial tasks that the authors would consider a) quite straightforward and b) as a result, generally not worth doing by themselves. Neither of which would probably be true here I think.

It seems 2) alleviates the need to elaborate as, Justine, you suggested with your 3rd point but let us know if it doesn’t work.

As attached with diff marks.
Regards,
Philippe